Friday, February 4, 2011

BRB Reviewing Every Life Decision Up to This Point to Try to Understand How It Is That I Do Not Live in New York ...

Flashback: Johnny preparing to walk in his first Heatherette show
for Richie Rich, September 2006 (see more pics!).
He'll be walking for Richie again
in the designer's upcoming "Villionaire" show
on Thursday, Feb. 10, as part of NY Fashion Week.
But there's a beautiful twist to this fashion event ...


Look, let's just be clear: I am probably one of the most fashion-challenged people on the planet.

(BRB adjusting my overall straps ...)

And so I'm hearing lots of exciting rumors that Johnny has about a million events coming up during New York Fashion Week, February 10 through 17, which is wonderful for him because he loves fashion--or, more accurately, "he is fashion," according to Isaac Mizrahi, whom I love because he's always helplessly crushing so hard on Johnny. But fashion is something I totally don't understand. And that's OK. Lots of things other people do aren't for me to understand, and I'm good with that. So mostly I figured the next week would just be another blur of Johnny media blitz, and I, in my fashion fugue state, could enjoy whatever pretty Johnny pictures pop up without any comprehension of what it is exactly they DO during Fashion Week, and then order some more overalls from eBay.

But then Johnny tweeted this:


And also this blurb appeared on his website:


OK, three things: (1) Johnny's walking in this show so this is WIN already; (2) "For the first time in NYFW history, an individual designer is opening to the public," which is interesting; and (3) You had me at "Villionaire." Because whatever it is, I need to see one / have one / be one immediately. I'm a sucker for catchy, made-up words.

So I had to go check all this out, and I learned all kinds of fascinating things. I didn't know much about Richie Rich, but I do know lots of people have lots of opinions about him. I learned that he was a figure skater who at one time was ranked 12th in the country. He partnered with Traver Rains to create Heatherette, and Johnny walked for them twice, the second time after Nationals in 2007--with, as he describes in Welcome to My World, makeup troweled on and glowsticks a-dangling.

Richie's now doing his own thing in New York, and for this new collection he has teamed up with bridal designer Angelo Lambrou. And that sent me on another odyssey to find out who he is, and let me just say: WOW. Even to my fashion-impaired eye, his stuff is BEYOND gorgeous. I don't even like dresses, and I want to wear every single one on his website. Plus he's mesmerizing in this interview.

And then I found this interview with Richie, in which he describes his collaboration with Angelo and what their concept is for the Villionaire collection:

It’s sort of 20s/30s glamour meets East Village punkiness / funkiness. Imagine if Marie Antoinette fell out of the sky and landed in the middle of the East Village. We’re just going to let her have fun. But it’s going to be more refined and upscale. ... Angelo brings refinement to my glittery fun.

Here's the logo for the show which BTW I want on a T-shirt ASAP:


And then Richie explains why he's breaking all the rules of Fashion Week to invite the (great unwashed) public and sell tickets:

The show this season is on February 10th at the Hammerstein Ballroom. [OMG please GO to this link. This place is INCREDIBLE]. Fashion Week is usually very exclusive, invite only, but I’m opening my show up like a rock concert this year, letting people in who never really get a chance to go to a fashion show. ... This year I’m selling tickets to the show and proceeds go to DOsomething.org as well as Cookies for Kids’ Cancer, which is a charity for little kids who unfortunately have cancer. We have a good friend who passed away in the last couple days. ... It felt weird at first, selling tickets, but you know, if you can help people, it makes sense.

So yes, according to the article linked to from Johnny's site, this is the first time an individual designer has done this. And more to the point, he's doing it for charity.

And the seats are just $25 and $35.

To see Johnny. In that unbelievably gorgeous venue.

And it all goes to two kid-focused charities.

Now THIS I understand.

Because love is always in fashion.


If there's any chance you can attend this event,
PLEASE DO IT! Do it for the charities,
and do it for the overall-clad schlumps
everywhere who live out in the cornfields FFS
and have no opportunity to go to amazing things
like this but desperately need
to live vicariously through you.
The show is expected to sell out quickly, though,
so get your tickets NOW!
And then please run right over here
and RSVP to Angelo. Because his stuff is amazing.
And he's promo'ing Johnny on his FB page. :)


Johnny will be a special guest at The Tenth Annual
HRC Greater New York Gala this Saturday, February 5,
at the Waldorf-Astoria in NYC!
More details on Johnny's website and on HRC!



Johnny tweeted recently:
"Buy my single,'Dirty Love' via iTunes.
Tell all your friends to as well. The more copies sold
takes me one step closer to making a video! №1!"
THE WORLD NEEDS THIS VIDEO
IN THE SAME WAY THAT IT NEEDS AIR.
You know what to do.
Please buy the song from Johnny's website,
or just click the "Buy" button on the player
at the top of the blog!



Hey, Welcome to My World also is available
as an eBook! More info on Johnny's website!



Designer T. Rains and Johnny have teamed up to raise money and awareness for The Trevor Project! This organization is "determined to end suicide among LGBTQ youth by providing life-saving and life-affirming resources." Proceeds from the "Army of One" t-shirt sales will go to The Trevor Project foundation. Order yours today! Your support is greatly appreciated!
For more information, please visit www.thetrevorproject.org.



Yes! You can own a fine art print of Johnny
perfect for any/every room in the house!
Prints of artist Peter Jurik's "Showtime!"
are available for purchase from his website.
More info here!

Please remember to
register to receive
the JW Art Project's email newsletter!
They have great tidbits to offer,
and you get a special sneak peek at an exclusive photo
from the Artbook when you sign up!

copyright 2010 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserved

11 comments:

germansoulmate said...

I would so do it if I were a "Villionaire" and could afford to fly to NY. Alas, it´s still not my time. But I will watch from afar and cheer, sigh, laugh, admire and hope they get together a great show with lots of money for said charitys.

Good luck to Richie Rich and Angelo Lambrou, and of course to Johnny.

Princess Johnny-Love ♥ said...

yup, i'm wondering why i live so far away from nyc, too. sigh . . .

not enough Johnny on the west coast! <(*~*)>

Anonymous said...

So funny the way you write MM! This blog has become my morning paper! LOL!

So excited for this show!! NYC is a wonderful place to live! I can't wait to see Johnny on the runway =) It sounds like a great time and I LOVE that its for a great cause as well! (lots of exclaimation points, apparently too much caffeine this am) ♥♥♥

aaaack said...

Too bad NYC is so far away. I've never been to a fashion show and need to try it.

MM, you either need a fashion diagnosis (fashion catatonia?) or scholarship grants for your kids.

My own situation is blend of fashion schizophrenia and www.storyofstuff.com. In the mall I get an identity crisis on top of sticker shock, tuition shock, and balance-of-payments guilt...and flee.

So I buy from Goodwill and the Junior League Bargain Store. Mistakes I simply donate back. I also buy Name Brands' department store returns/orphans that need repairs (say, lightly torn $5 cashmere sweaters, $3 shirts missing a button). My kid shops at the mall...meshing nicely with her peer group and avoiding Mom's dysfunction. (Might even splurge on an Angelo Lambrou or Vera Wang dress for her someday.)

I marvel at Johnny's fashion sense and find vicarious pleasure in his closet and choices. Johnny's T-shirts and a pair of sweatpants were the sole brand new articles of clothing I purchased last year.

Lauren / Ren said...

That looks like soooo much fun! I'm only a 9 hour car ride away. Did I mention I still don't drive yet? Fart balls ...

Debora Walsh said...

Yes..I'll happily deal with frozen snowpack and the $8.00 toll on the GW Bridge or Lincoln Tunnel and countless dollars to park in order to see this! (Debbie, why so po'?)

Marie Antoinette in the East Village is right up my alley. In fact I costumed myself for Halloween as her in 2005...so Marie's already been to the East Village....SHE & HER POWDERED WIG LOVED IT!

Anyway...so exciting that Richie Rich's opening the show up to the public for a great cause...hopefully he'll start a trend.

I'm, bringing a friend who is neither a fashionista nor a Johnny-fan. I think there is a miraculous, well-heeled epiphany on deck in her near future!

Walk, walk, fashion baby.....

Maggie St. said...

*sigh* So close, yet so far. So expensive to get to the City and me, so unemployed. So I too will live vicariously through Johnny and wait until my situation changes.

I decided to put on my big girl panties (emphasis on big), checked out Cookies for Kids’ Cancer and will send them a donation since I can't help out by actually attending.

I wonder if Richie Rich twitter-pictures? ;)

kbos2hm said...

ive never really got the point of fashion and i would not even know where to start to be hounest if you seen me on the street you would probably think i was a tramp or something where do you start when you want to look good and you are a bloke

WheresMyKoppy said...

You're right, Angelo Lambrou's is gorgeous! Too bad I couldn't wear a single one of those dresses... aaaack, you are so funny!

kbos2hm, you probably don't have as many choices as the gals do, but there are good choices for you. Try GQ.com, http://mensfashion.about.com/ or ask your lady friends. They'll probably give you better advice than most of your guy friends, to be honest!

Once again MM, great blog! Sounds like Johnny will be having lots of fun again and I can't be there either!

aaaack said...

Since 1975 I have never subscribed to any fashion magazine. Yeah, I'm a fashion anarchist. I have the same problems with fashion as I have with organized religion. Always talking back and arguing with it inside my brain. For example, I detest that each year some fashion board is dictating the current colors.

The TV program "What not to wear" makes me think, gosh, people are so shallow in that what you wear makes such a big difference in how you are perceived and received. The whole concept of pecking order and dressing for success are anathema to me. To me, many men dress like they have walled off part of their brains, and many women dress like they are permanently sexually aroused.

Anonymous said...

You buy overalls on eBay too?!?! I'm actually right now wearing my eBay-bought size XL navy blue Winnie-The-Pooh corduroys right now!! Great for winter!! I really want to go to the show - trying to get a date for it as we speak!! These days I only get "dressed up" for Johnny's appearances. Why are the nicest shoes always so hard to walk in? :(