Thursday, March 1, 2012

Back to the Future. Again.

Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
Johnny in Russia, December 2011. 
Absolutely stunning photo © Tatiana Edrenkina
Please click twice for full-size view. 
So beautiful. Thank you, Tanya, 
for sharing your gift with all of us!



Kayso you may be wondering why we're featuring a (simply gorgeous) photo from December 11, 2011, when today is March 1, 2012....

Well, because yesterday Johnny's Facebook fan page was forced to switch to the NEW! Facebook! Timeline!, which sucks balls in such a major way that it begs to become a new Internet meme.

Oh wait...


It's like the people who brought us Memento stopped by Zuckerberg's office one day and said, "Hey, you want any help with that redesign you've been talking about? Cuz we'd love to f*ck with the minds of your 800 million active users." And he was like, "Oh, perfect timing! The Inception people just bailed on me." (Not that he has any idea AT. ALL. what "timing," or its root, "time," actually mean.) And now we all need a handy spinning-wheel graphic like this just to figure out WTF. IS. HAPPENING. ON. THE. PAGE.

Yes, I loooooove the cover photo (thank you, page admins, for choosing Davey's pic!). Haaaaaate everything else about this new layout. What really drives me nuts are the newly nonsensical display choices. Now I can have:

(1) "Highlights," which is a COMPLETELY random selection of LOLWUT, including a blog post FROM LAST NOVEMBER. (See meme.) Or:

(2) "Posts by Page," so I can just read Johnny's stuff. Sort of in order, by which I mean desperately seeking to divine some kind of order by darting my eyes back and forth across that increasingly irritating line down the middle of his page to try to figure out if he tweeted about going to the movies AFTER he went to bed, or if he had an AbFab moment with his closet BEFORE his hair was a disaster. And who READS this way? When you open a book, do you read one paragraph from the lefthand page, then skip to the middle paragraph on the righthand page, and then go back to the lefthand page? Me neither. FFS. Also for some reason it annoys me to have Johnny referred to as a "page." Plus I love him but I'd like to see what other people are posting also. Which brings me to:

(3) "Posts by Others." Same problem as in (2), plus then after about five minutes I miss Johnny. And finally:

(4) The comedically incomprehensible "Friend Activity," which showed me this:


And if I scrolled down, I got this:


Which I don't evan know what that means.

But here's one thing I do know: Whatever this mess is, it's thoroughly, utterly, absolutely NOT this:


Or else we've been doing all our space missions totally wrong.

(I shudder to think what might have befallen the world if the FB developers worked for NASA: "No, wait, they were supposed to get in the shuttle BEFORE it took off....?" "What side of the manual are you reading that from...?" "I'm on the left side under 'Astronaut Activity,' but I got nothing..." "Oh look! Here's a memo from the president from last November. 'Dear team: Due to budget cuts, you're all fired.'" "Oh, I'm not friended with him, so I didn't see that...")


Well, we've been here before. Almost exactly a year ago. And where then we had Fashion Week pics to distract us, this year we're just going to plunge right into this dreamy, "time-has-no-meaning-so-how-could-I-possibly-be-late-to-work" perspective and enjoy more truly glorious picspam courtesy of dear Tatiana, culled from the awesome batch of nearly 250 photos she sent me at some point in the future when I was in St. Petersburg about 10 years ago. Really. It's on my FB timeline.



From Russia With Love. 
As Always.

The following pics, which are all just made of win, are from a portion of the meeting Johnny had with his Russian fans back in December. Thank you, Tanya, for allowing me to premiere these here! And yes, there are more to come!

Please click any photo twice for a larger view.



Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
IDK why this is wavy and kinda time-warpy, 
but I love the effect and now I think maybe this
 should be his FB cover photo. 
I believe this is when he first arrived 
at the fan meeting (in his DeLorean?). 
Also love his hat so much.


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
Adorkable.


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
Johnny seems slightly alarmed 
as he points to the laptop Irina Volkova, right, 
has set up to carry him on livestream 
around the world....


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
...but she reassures him that it's all good, 
and he waves. Sadly, the Internet failed 
at some point, so no livestream. 
But thank you, Ira, for thinking of us and doing 
everything you could to make it happen!!


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
Gifts!!


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
Tara and Johnny admire this lovely stemware, 
a gift of the "King on Ice" fan group from vkontakte.ru.
IIRC, he also was thrilled that it was 
something he could clean.


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
Love his happy. And his manicure.


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
More gifts....


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
...and it's a...


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
...sleep mask! 
Which he models for the livestream...


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
...and he's already giggly 
before we even get to the best part...


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
...the Viacheslav Romanov wig, 
courtesy of Ira!


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
Even Tara, who has seen it all, 
is cracking up...


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
...as he adjusts to make sure he looks good...


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
...and then smiles for Tara 
and the livestream.


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
(BTW Tara dear, do you still have these pics...?)


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.


Johnny Weir. Photo © Tatiana Edrenkina @ Official Johnny Weir Blog.
These last two are just priceless. LOL.

Thank you again, Tanya, and also Ira, for sharing this wonderful fan meeting with us!



Two Really, Really Nice Things 
That Happened This Week



My lovely friend @ayukovon drew this for me to say "Happy Blogoversary!" And I love it so very much that I actually, finally came out from behind the masked image that has been my longstanding profile pic everywhere on the Internet and traded up to this new look:


Thank you SO much, Ayumi, for such a lovely gift!! It makes me smile every time I see it. (Plus, we have not a single picture of the three of us because Davey's always the one taking the photos and doesn't particularly care to be in them. So this is very much the next best thing!) BRB wallpapering every room in the house... :D



And then there was this late in the day yesterday:


Which totally made my whole year. Already. And it's only July 32 in the year Twenty-Eleventy-Seventy-Two. Isn't that right, Zuckerberg?

Thank you SO much, Johnny!! And you're very welcome. It's been AMAZING. Just like you.



Bonus videos!! Which I also don't evan know 
what this one is, exactly. But I love it. 
All I know is that @tower_of_ozil tweeted the link 
to it yesterday, and the description says: 
"I, a student of Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, 
made 'Tower of Johnny' for the exhibition. 
To celebrate Johnny Weir's marriage (*^_^*) 
Happy Wedding!"



Important Historical Note (which Facebook would  
never be able to reveal, because, well, history): 
Eleven years ago today, Johnny won 
his Junior World Title! Congratulations!!



If you missed last Friday's blog
or the one on the Friday before that
please go check them out! 
More HDOI picspam, 
courtesy of David Ingogly.



Why yes he is!! 
Landing quads and kicking ass!
Read his comeback statement 
on his website!



Get tix now!! Johnny is an Honorary Chairperson 
for the Imperial Court of New York's biggest annual fundraiser, 
This year's beneficiaries are PFLAG-NYC and 
New Alternatives, a group that helps homeless LGBT youth. 
Mark your calendars for Saturday, March 31, 



It's not too late! Subscribe now 
and get the entire Johnny Weir perspective, 
including his never-before-heard free skate commentary 
available exclusively on icenetwork.com!



Q and A! Go read it now!




Johnny's Glitter and Ice collection 
with MAC is pretty much sold out, 
but I'm leaving this video on here 
for a little while longer 
because I love it so much. 



Yes! Johnny's dresses are now available
for purchase only on eDressMe.com!



At last: Pop Star On Ice is now available on DVD!
Order yours today from the Pop Star On Ice website!



Johnny tweeted:
"Buy my single,'Dirty Love' via iTunes.
Tell all your friends to as well. The more copies sold
takes me one step closer to making a video! №1!"

IN THE SAME WAY THAT IT NEEDS AIR.
You know what to do.
Please buy the song from Johnny's website,
or just click the "Buy" button on the player
at the top of the blog!



Hey, Welcome to My World also is available
as an eBook! More info on Johnny's website!


copyright 2012 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserved

6 comments:

Maggie St. said...

Love how Johnny's fans can take something ugly (new Facebook timeline) and make something beautiful (Ayumi's artwork; "Tower of Johnny", Tatiana's photo, Russian fans).

Last, but never, ever least, Johnny's tweet. ♥

germansoulmate said...

This blog post totally cracks me up with all your references to the craziness that is Johnny´s FB right now...or whatever. I have to admit, the new time line is somewhat confusing. But I´m trying to understand it. I really try. As long as I see Johnny´s posts, all is good. And your´s of course.

"IIRC, he also was thrilled that it was something he could clean."

Now you made me clean my keyboard from spilled tea...*pouts*

Tati´s pics are so, so awesome. I loooove them´. Thank you, Tatiana.

Thank you for putting that post together. As always.

Peace said...

You & this post:FTW

New timeline page thingy:FML

xoxoxo

aaaack said...

Facebook needs to let users have more control. This is supposedly software, not a Space Mountain ride.

Speaking of rides, the Tower of Johnny video of Johnny whirligigs is so novel and cute. I think it would make a great set of wedding cake toppers if you put Vitya cutouts in between the Johnny cutouts and added some sugar crystal snow. Then add a spinning thing with Vitya on a motorcycle and Johnny riding a playground panda bear behind him (or together on a Vespa a la Amelie finale?).

Johnny with a wig is all kinds of fun. Thank you, Lerche.

Thank you, Binky, you are the ringmaster of fun in this busy, outre multi-ring circus of a blog. I'm slapping my flippers together and exclaiming "ole" and "oi, oi!"

One must remember to not eat and read your blog at the same time (else, one puts the keyboard at risk with sputtering).

WheresMyKoppy said...

Thanks for making me laugh out loud with this one! Hee, hee...

Thanks also to Tatiana and @ayukovon for the lovely pictures and the drawing.

So, what's worse? New Twitter, or new Facebook timeline?

Arwen Elfa said...

Very nice and cute blog ......
I have to make a trip around the blog because I am a new follower ....
Have a nice day !