Friday, August 10, 2012

McKayla Is Not Impressed With My Week

LOL. I love this meme so much.
Original photo courtesy of Anastasia Pryanikova.

If you haven't yet caught McKayla-Is-Not-Impressed fever, here's a quick primer: It's the first Internet meme to come out of London 2012, based on the reaction of US gymnast McKayla Maroney to just missing the gold medal in the ladies' vault final. You can read about the meme here, and see 8 million hilarious examples of its use in this Tumblr here. Then you'll be ready to review why McKayla is not impressed with what went on in Weir world this week.



"Be the first to tell Evan I like this? 
I don't think so."
(Note: Evan is scheduled to make an announcement
 on the Today Show, erm, today. Most are betting 
he's going to be filling the open slot in Skate America. 
UPDATE: Yep.
Still not impressed.)



"We will. But ugh. 
Hate that Tyoma and his daddies 
have to go through this, 
even though it's best in the long run."






"This freaking poll is still up on Ice Network?"
UPDATE: Nope. Now it's... a new one. 
And the wording of the choices on it
has left McKayla unimpressed again.



For fans' reactions to this distressing news
 and a cogent discussion of the entire situation 
from the fan perspective, please see these Facebook threads
here, here, here, here, and here
as well as additional threads on Johnny's page 
under "Posts by Others." I'm with McKayla on this one.
I can't even begin to articulate my disappointment
at the lost photo opportunity, particularly because 
of the reality that there isn't another one 
for US fans in the foreseeable future.
And I'm not even one of the people 
coping with non-refundable plane tickets...
On the other hand, if this means Johnny gets 
an extra day to rest as competition looms 
ever closer, then that's a good thing.
Moral of the story for me: 
Next time, make the effort to go to Sun Valley.

UPDATE: Johnny's note to fans
posted on his Facebook fan page



Good news and bad news: Tyoma made it through 
his procedure just fine, 
but then had to wear the cone of shame. 
Poor little puppy.
Original photo tweeted by Victor.



Original photo tweeted by Johnny.



Johnny tweeted: "I'm so amused 
That's a fight I never thought I'd see fought." 
McKayla didn't either.



Original photo tweeted by Victor: 
"The Soviet officer and Laika, the first dog in space." 
This. Is. Everything.


Although not to McKayla.



In the midst of the utter depression that was fandom yesterday after the Ice House news, my lovely friend Elena Demaria tweeted the link to this Tumblr, "What Should Figure Skaters Call Me?", in an effort to help cheer people up. Each post begins with a skating-related, "When [such-and-such happens...]," and then there's a reaction gif. 

This silliness is inspired by a post there, with apologies to the original creator:



McKayla doesn't think so.


But she's wrong.



Original artwork tweeted by 
@ayukovon yesterday 
(here with bonus water-colored McKayla...)



"When are you figure-skating people going to get 
that whole scoring thing worked out? 
Because in gymnastics, we--oh wait..."
Original photo courtesy of Mackenzie Keller.



on Johnny's Comeback Gift Fund website
Please go read it now!



Thank you to everyone who donated 
to Johnny's Comeback Gift Fund 
in honor of my birthday this week!! 
Very special thanks to my dear friend
Nicole Davis for organizing the effort, 
and knowing how much it would mean to me.
Even McKayla would be impressed.
Thank you all so much!! 



UPDATE!!! The return of Johnny to our TVs.
Set those DVRs now: New premiere date is
Monday, September 1710 pm EDT / 9 pm CDT 
only on Logo!


Previews!! Johnny with Australian Olympic 
diving champion Matty Mitcham...
International fans: 
Please try this link or this link for the video.


...and Johnny with the ever-fabulous RuPaul.
International fans: 
Please try this link or this link for the video.



Please be sure to read Johnny's fabulous
London 2012 blog entries on People.com! 
Here's a listing of his blog posts (newest first):
My First Impressions of the London Olympic Games
Fierce Competition (and Fashion!) at London Games



Yes, YOU can be a part of Johnny's comeback!  
Please visit Johnny's Comeback Gift Fund today 
and chip in as little as $1 via PayPal. 
Our small gifts can help make his dream of competing 
in his third Olympic Games come true!
And now you can leave a message 
of support for Johnny, too!



More from Johnny's website!! 
He's heading back to Japan in early September 
for Fantasy on Ice! Info here!



HE REALLY, REALLY IS!! 
Landing quads and kicking ass 
at a Grand Prix event near you!
Read his comeback statement 
on his website!



Please click to vote for Johnny 
once a day as "Best Sportsman"
Because he retweeted Luisa Lotka to tell us 
he wants us to! (Note: With his "58.132" rating, 
he is currently in 1st place in both 
Figure Skating AND across all sports!)



It's not too late! Subscribe now 
and get the entire Johnny Weir perspective, 
including his never-before-heard free skate commentary 
available exclusively on icenetwork.com!



Q and A! Go read it now!



with MAC is pretty much sold out, 
but I'm leaving this video on here 
for a little while longer 
because I love it so much.



Yes! Johnny's dresses are now available
for purchase only on eDressMe.com!



At last: Pop Star On Ice is now available on DVD!
Order yours today from the Pop Star On Ice website!



Johnny tweeted:
"Buy my single,'Dirty Love' via iTunes.
Tell all your friends to as well. The more copies sold
takes me one step closer to making a video! №1!"

IN THE SAME WAY THAT IT NEEDS AIR.
You know what to do.
Please buy the song from Johnny's website,
or just click the "Buy" button on the player
at the top of the blog!



Hey, Welcome to My World also is available
as an eBook! More info on Johnny's website!



copyright 2012 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserved

8 comments:

jenn said...

Next time make the effort to go to Sun Valley? I don't need McKayla. You should see *my* bitchface at that suggestion. If only the people putting on some of these shows put in half the effort to promote them as Johnny's fans do to attend. I guess since I could hardly manage the expense and upheaval to attend a show in my home state the moral of my story is: Don't expect to see Johnny skate live. Learn to be happy for others. Although I've yet to receive a phone call or an email telling me the show's been cancelled, much less how I'll be receiving my refund. So is the show still on for me?

We love you Johnny, so much, even those of us who can't travel the world to see you. I love you, Johnny. And I have to say, as crushing as my disappointment is—and OMG, it is, it really is—I feel so badly for you. I know how much it means to you to skate for your fans, and I'm so sad you won't get that chance next week. It wasn't you Johnny. It's never you.

aaaack said...

Hilarious McKayla meme...and hilarious Cosmonaut Johnny and Тёмanaut portrait.

Meanwhile, modern life reminds me of the "Life on Mars" song by David Bowie.

aaaack said...

By the way, the bulk of Olympic gold medals are 92.8% silver coated with at least 6 grams of gold. Bronze medals are bronze all the way through (copper and tin). http://chemistry.about.com/od/metalsalloys/f/what_are_olympic_medals_made_of.htm

aaaack said...

Chemical composition-wise, gold medals are really more like gilt medals, if that is any consolation.

aaaack said...

I've always admired your Photoshop skills. May I make a special request...no rush? Putting all the pieces together...can you put Johnny and Tema on a box of corn flakes or with Mars as the background and, of course, McKayla, too.

PumaJ said...

Thank you for the humor in today's blog, Binx. I'm so sad about the cancellation of the ice show in N.J. that some humor was needed to help me smile.

Binky and the Misfit Mimes said...

LOL. I'll give it a shot, aaaack!! :D

Princess Johnny-Love ♥ said...

*sad* . . .

i've only met Johnny and seen him skate live once and i was dearly looking forward to my second time.