Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Wayback Wednesday Via Weibo

Johnny performs Born This Way during the 
Artistry on Ice tour earlier this year. #sparklecrotch 
This trip down memory lane brought to you by 
an awesome new interview excerpted below.



Johnny Is Commenting On 
All The Things


Reminder: Johnny is doing commentary
for EVERY Grand Prix event! 
this Sunday, November 10... 


...for 2X your usual weekly dose of Johnny! 
(Still below the RDA of 100,000,000X, 
but we’ll take what we can get.)
Thank you, NBC Sports!





And yes, we have video of his commentary on the first two GP events he’s done: Cup of China and Skate Canada. If you haven’t listened in yet, here’s what you’ve been missing, per this tiny representative sample of the flood of Twitter love he received after last weekend’s Cup of China:













UPDATE!! From Uncle Dick today!



Fan art!! Please go follow Elitsn Eliv (@MDCXVIII) 
on Twitter and Tumblr ASAP. You will not regret it.





Johnny Weir: 
“The Costume Tells the Story”

So a few weeks ago this tweet caught my eye...



...since because “Johnny WEIR” right there on the cover with some other skating people or something. And thus I discovered this fab new digital publication from Japan, Kiss & Cry World (also on Facebook and Twitter).

The magazine is available only for smartphone via download through iTunes or Google Play ($7.99 per issue), which unfortunately limits its audience, and the purchase/download process was full of fits and starts for me, sort of like my attempts to watch Patrick Chan, but eventually I got it to work (unlike my attempts to watch Patrick Chan), and opened the app to discover a glorious THREE-PART interview with Johnny all about costumes. The interview was conducted while he was in Japan this past summer for Fantasy on Ice and includes 10 exclusive photos, none of which I can download to post here but which are totally worth the $7.99 on their own. And the first one is Johnny in his Born This Way costume, which then reminded me that while we have no pics of his BTW performance in Japan, I have a whole treasure trove of BTW that I have not yet run from the Artistry on Ice tour that he did in China immediately before he went to Japan. Because everything about Johnny reminds me of other stuff about Johnny, at least 150 percent of which resides in the Johnny Shangri-La that is my computer.

So today we have a brief excerpt from the interview to entice you to go buy the whole thing, plus leftover BTW picspam courtesy of my lovely Weibo friend Cutalong, who sent me a zillion AOI pics with the kind and open-ended instructions to do whatever with them whenever, of which about half-a-zillion remain to be posted... :D



Kiss & Cry World 
Interview with Johnny Weir
Part 1: The Costume Tells the Story
(Excerpt)

I accept whatever adjectives people use to describe my costumes. Some say “ugly,” some say “beautiful.” ... [W]hen people look at my outfits, I always want them to think ... Like, “What does he mean?” or “What is he doing?” ...

[T]he costume is the second thing I think about. The first is always the music. I may find a piece and not skate to it for five years, but I always find my music and the rest of the idea comes after it. ... I imagine myself in a huge arena and think about what kind of costume will work. What it will look like far away, on TV, everything ... Most of all, I like the costume to tell a story. Even if it’s my own crazy story that only I know, I want it to say something. ... I want my costumes to speak for me. ...

For me, designing costumes is good for relieving stress. It’s always nice to sit with a sheet of white paper in front of me and create something beautiful. I would never have somebody else dress me because they don’t know me the way that I know me. ...

Even when I was young and was just doing double axels in my programs, I knew very clearly what I wanted when it came to color and costuming and what I wanted people to feel. ...

My favorite costumes are probably the ones that I wore at my Olympic Games. I like “The Swan” from 2006 and my “I Love You/I Hate You” short and “Fallen Angel” long programs from 2010.

(Please go download Kiss & Cry World now to read the rest! The issue also includes a fascinating multi-part interview with Stéphane about choreography.)



Picspam: Born This Way
Shanghai, June 2013

Exclusive photos © Cutalong






























































OK, no pics from Japan, but we do have video!! 
Johnny’s Born This Way from Fantasy on Ice. 
Fabulous every time.
Video link.





So excited for him to have so many new opportunities!! 
And if anyone can handle multiple levels of crazy-busy
with great polish, it would be Johnny.



On Johnny’s website, 
linked to his retirement statement
Thank YOU, Johnny!



All four segments of Shigesato Itoi’s 
wonderful interview with Johnny are up:
Part One – Marriage 
Part Two – Balance
Part Three – Olympics
Part Four – Life
Plus a special message from Johnny 

about his retirement from competitive skating
is included at the end of Part Four.
Please go read it all now!



ICYMI:Tribute: ‘My Beautiful Ice Angel.’”
A longtime fan’s heartfelt guest post 
about Johnny’s career and retirement. 



Also on the blog:
All of Him Is My Treasure.”
Fans react to Johnny’s graceful exit 
from competitive skating.
Exclusive photo © David Ingogly.
Please click twice for larger image.



“Practice Is Perfect”
25+ exclusive new photos of Johnny’s 
Sun Valley rehearsal.
Exclusive photo © David Ingogly.


“Dear Johnny...”
Selected black-and-white photos of Johnny’s 
hauntingly beautiful Schindler’s List debut.
Exclusive photo © David Ingogly.



“Something Beautiful Today.”
Johnny at rehearsal in Sun Valley — Part 1 
(much more to come!)
Exclusive pics plus practice video featuring 
his gorgeous triple axel.
Exclusive photo © David Ingogly.



“Sun Valley Sneak Peek: 
‘A Rare Human So Breathtaking....’ ”
Johnny debuts his Schindler’s List program 
in this stunning simple white costume. 
Exclusive pics and HD video.
Exclusive photo © David Ingogly.



Photo essay of 40+ starkly beautiful 
black-and-white pics featuring Johnny at rehearsal 
as young skaters watch, spellbound.
Exclusive photo © David Ingogly.



Quiet photo essay of exclusive black-and-white pics 
paired with Johnny’s quotes from his 
Exclusive photo © David Ingogly.



Johnny’s latest column for the 
Falls Church News-Press.
His columns are published every Thursday 
in the “National Commentary“ 
section—don’t miss a single one! 



I discovered recently that there are 
brief rehearsal clips of Johnny on my cell phone 
that I had totally forgotten I had. 
The footage is blurry and jumpy, but as I re-watched 
this one for the first time in months, I suddenly realized 
that that doesn’t really matter at all....
Video link.
International fans video link.



A number of Johnny’s auction items 
have been relistedwhich means if you missed out 
the first time around, you’re in luck: 
It’s not too late to own a piece of Weir Gear! 
Go check it out and see what treasures 
you could take home!



Please alert absolutely everyone you’ve ever met 
to “like” and follow the new 
on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr
Because he should be on all the things. 
With or without ice. 
But definitely with Viacheslav.



Please click to vote for Johnny 
once a day as “Best Sportsman”
Because he retweeted Luisa Lotka  to tell us he wants us to! 



Need to see Seasons 1 and 2 all over again? 
Watch episodes online anytime on Logo!
Please be sure to check in with GetGlue a
nytime you’re watching the show... 
or thinking about watching the show.... 
or wishing you were watching the show....



At last: Pop Star On Ice is now available on DVD!
Order yours today from the Pop Star On Ice website!



Johnny tweeted:
“Buy my single,’Dirty Love’ via iTunes.
Tell all your friends to as well. The more copies sold
takes me one step closer to making a video! №1!”
IN THE SAME WAY THAT IT NEEDS AIR.
You know what to do.
Please buy the song from Johnny’s website,
or just click the “Buy” button on the player at the top of the blog!



Hey, Welcome to My World also is available
as an eBook! More info on Johnny’s website!


copyright 2013 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserved

1 comment:

aaaack said...

So glad to see Johnny making a soft landing after exiting competitions via commentating. He's proven himself to be knowledgeable and excellent at it, and us fans can still enjoy his expert analysis and opinions.