Thursday, February 17, 2011

Happy Johnnyversary! Part 1

Aaaaaaaand just when I thought there's no way we could possibly top the Elise Ă˜verland show, here comes Johnny down the runway for Indashio:




Just ... wow. SO MUCH wow. It's almost more wow than a person can take in all at once. Surely any minute now those fine folks in South Dakota will be introducing a bill to outlaw this sort of extreme wowness, or at least prevent it from entering their state. Like anyone with this much wow factor would go there (look, I can say that. I grew up in Wyoming. So I've driven through South Dakota more times than any one person should ever have to.)

The show was available via livestream for awhile, though naturally the stream froze up before the finale so we missed all the fun at the end. And the show started late, so we who had gathered on Twitter enjoyed ourselves while we waited by watching the irrepressible Tara, under the golden glow of one of the ceiling spotlights, bopping in her front-row seat and tapping her feet in her fab shoes.

FINALLY the lights dimmed, Twitter grew quiet, and BOOM. There was Johnny, first one down the runway! Thanks to Jenn Kittler, here he is opening the show in his "ringleader ensemble," as he described it in his tweet (vid is a little jerky because, you know, livestream, which of course is a synonym for cruising the Internet superhighway in your father's 1962 Jeep that's missing a gear and also part of a tire):


The livestream covered quite a bit of the backstage action before the show started, including a great interview with Johnny while he was getting his hair and makeup done (during which he said the glue for those incredible feather eyelashes was "burning the shit out of me"). For the best collection of backstage screencaps, please visit this fabulous Tumblr.

Johnny had some interesting stuff to say about the other thing that I think is also maybe burning the shit out of him: To compete or not to compete ...

Interviewer: Do you think you'll return to skating soon?

Johnny: I definitely have been thinking about it more often than not, about a return to competitive skating. I'm performing in shows all over the world, but to be a competitive skater, the public won't see me ... I live like a monk. To be a great figure skater, you have to drink, eat, and sleep figure skating. ... It's been a year to the day that I competed at the Olympics in Vancouver, so it's been a whole year off and I can say I really miss it. But it takes a lot of personal sacrifice to get there. And I've already competed twice, but a third time would be--

Interviewer: Well, we miss you.

Johnny: I miss me too. [laughs] I really miss competing. You know, to be honest, without me; without Evgeni Plushenko, the Russian champion; even without my arch-nemesis, Evan Lysacek--skating is boring.

Yes--with no disrespect at all to Ryan Bradley or Adam Rippon or any of the other current competitors, who are wonderfully talented in their own right--it is. (And bonus points for "arch-nemesis." LOL.)

As noted yesterday, competing is obviously very much on Johnny's mind, even in the midst of the utter glitztasticness that has been Fashion Week Starring Johnny Weir--the first and only Fashion Week, BTW, that I've ever paid any attention to In. My. Life. Because it has Johnny in it, of course. Same reason I watched The Fashion Show, and Kelly Ripa's High-Heel-A-Thon, and Chelsea Handler, etc.

So I think it FINALLY concludes tomorrow (not that I haven't enjoyed it. But between the madness of 8,345,982 NYFW pics and the mind-boggling time-warpiness of the Facebook fan page, I'm kinda wiped). Two biggies that I know of:

(1) Johnny is sitting front row at Isaac Mizrahi, who is livestreaming his show at 12 noon EST!!! And I love that Isaac's Fall 2011 collection is called "Poodles and Cake." Although I have no idea why.

(2) Johnny is walking in Adrienne Landau's show and also presenting his "capsule collection" of designs, about which he has sounded a bit nervous. I THINK the show is at 3 pm EST. I KNOW his pieces will be AMAZING.

And then it's over, which brings us to Friday: The anniversary of Johnny's "Fallen Angel" free-skate performance at the Vancouver Olympics. Last night, after all the wow of Indashio was over, he tweeted:


Which resulted in an immediate explosion of Johnny-love on Twitter. Here are some of the tweets that poured in (please click for larger view):









I love those last two tweets especially.

And so, in honor of Johnny, and this amazing year that he has shared with us, and most of all, his brilliant, shattering, and unforgettable 2010 Olympics, here it is (with thanks to Jenn for the link and Vimeo for being awesome): His "I Love You, I Hate You" short program performance in Vancouver, February 16, 2010:





OK, I know it's a few months away,
but you can get tickets NOW to see Johnny
in Skate for Hope on Saturday, June 18, in Columbus, OH!
(Same weekend as the Annually Awesome
And yes, a VIP package is available!



Johnny tweeted recently:
"Buy my single,'Dirty Love' via iTunes.
Tell all your friends to as well. The more copies sold
takes me one step closer to making a video! №1!"
THE WORLD NEEDS THIS VIDEO
IN THE SAME WAY THAT IT NEEDS AIR.
You know what to do.
Please buy the song from Johnny's website,
or just click the "Buy" button on the player
at the top of the blog!



Hey, Welcome to My World also is available
as an eBook! More info on Johnny's website!



Designer T. Rains and Johnny have teamed up to raise money and awareness for The Trevor Project! This organization is "determined to end suicide among LGBTQ youth by providing life-saving and life-affirming resources." Proceeds from the "Army of One" t-shirt sales will go to The Trevor Project foundation. Order yours today! Your support is greatly appreciated!
For more information, please visit www.thetrevorproject.org.




Yes! You can own a fine art print of Johnny
perfect for any/every room in the house!
Prints of artist Peter Jurik's "Showtime!"
are available for purchase from his website.
More info here!


copyright 2011 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserved

7 comments:

germansoulmate said...

Love it.

Anonymous said...

great blog-so many topics!
1 year since Vancouver, can't believe it! loving NYFW this year!

Beth

aaaack said...

In that makeup Johnny looks like the bird of paradise. Also very Lady Gaga in his eyes.

It's so wonderful that so many new Logo Channel viewers get to discover or rediscover Johnny. If Johnny continues to grow in popularity at 137 new twitter followers per day as he has done this year, he will reach 100,000 followers by the end of June.

North and South Dakota seem to want to drive their few remaining people out by acting so controlling and repressive. Are they trying to retain population by hook or by crook? These steps will only backfire on them. Their farmer men will get lonelier during those long dark winters.

Their legislative activity makes me less likely to want to visit Mt. Rushmore on vacation. I've already taken Arizona's Grand Canyon off my visit list because of their repressive laws. I vote with my feet.

jenn said...

I opened the Stargate onto Johnny's FB page to bring back these links, which hold even more Johnny love: http://tinyurl.com/4rsyo8s
http://tinyurl.com/4szfvj5
http://tinyurl.com/4g6hsvz
http://tinyurl.com/4k6rlrf
http://tinyurl.com/4beryhe
Such an amazing year.

Maggie St. said...

Can't wait to see pics from Adrienne Landau's show!!


I too can't decide what * I * want for Johnny. ;) An Olympic medal in Russia (daughter & I are still planning on going, regardless) or retiring that phase of his life and moving on to the next 25 years of excitement and glitter.

Whatever Johnny chooses, I'll be there; wishing him luck and praying for him all the way.

Princess Johnny-Love ♥ said...

whew! *fans self* someone knows how to work the runway. love that arm movement, so elegant! and the rest is just yummy!

aww . . . i missed the lovefest. sorries! but it's the one year anniversary of my Johnny-love and i'm all the better for it!

<(^_^)>

WheresMyKoppy said...

Well first off I don't support boycotts because they often hurt the wrong people with the lest amount of power and do nothing to support people who are trying to change things (For example, should we boycott Wisconsin because the governor is a prick?). However, that doesn't mean I don't understand the reasons why some people want to do boycotts in the first place.

Having said that, great Blog MM! Thanks for including my tweet in your tweet capture! I read so many nice tweets in response to Johnny's tweets and it was wonderful to see! Can't wait to see more in response to the one year anniversary of 'Fallen Angel' tomorrow, or later today actually!