Monday, December 22, 2014

"Thank You, Johnny!"

Beautiful Johnny and his amazing hat 
at the Empire State Plaza ice rink in Albany, NY, Saturday, 
chatting with thrilled fans on a very brisk winter day. 
Exclusive photo © Sinikka Grant.
Please click for glorious full-size image!



Kayso yes, there’s a ton of picspam below, but first let’s talk about all the end-of-year accolades pouring in for Johnny because that makes me super-happy (and a happy Binky is one that just keeps merrily adding yet more photos to this post...):

TV.com — Top 100 Everything of 2014, Vol. 1: Items 100–91:  “Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir were broadcasting gold at the Sochi Olympics.”

TV Guide — Annual Cheers and Jeers: “Cheers to the ‘glimmer twins’ of figure-skating commentary, fashionista scene-stealers Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir.”

Entertainment Weekly — Best of 2014: How Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski Became the Breakout Stars of Sochi. Wonderful must-read interview that includes Johnny and Tara’s top five secrets to their success. Among them: beloved broadcasting partner “Uncle Terry” Gannon.

InStyle — Style 100: The Best Looks and Trends of 2014. “Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski gave new meaning to the term ‘color commentators’ at the Sochi Olympics with a star-making turn rink-side (they practically edged Scott Hamilton right off the ice).” LOL this pleases me. In fact, InStyle loved Johnny and Tara so much that they’re not only included in the gallery, but are also among the few celebs mentioned in the accompanying article.

Sports Illustrated — 2014: The Year in Sports Media. “We want more of these sports TV personalities: Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir.”

And again from Sports Illustrated — Sports Illustrated Media Awards: The Best and Worst of 2014.Newcomer of the Year: Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir (NBC Sports). Lipinski and Weir were the breakout stars of the Sochi Games thanks to their fantastic chemistry, devil-may-care attitude and their youth (neither is over 32). NBC has since promoted them to the No. 1 team on figure skating for the company.” Read more for some excellent Johnny quotes.

Also: yay that they’re part of NBC’s New Year’s Eve special, A Toast to 2014! At last we know what this Instagram was all about:

Get excited 👫 @johnnygweir @taralipinski

878 Likes, 21 Comments - TARA & JOHNNY (@taraandjohnny) on Instagram: "Get excited 👫 @johnnygweir @taralipinski"


Yes! We’re excited!


But now there’s a new mystery: what were they doing last week and why do they have their own set??

Via Johnny: “Major side eye while filming today 
with my queen @taralipinski! @taraandjohnny”


Via Tara: “Outtake with my sunshine @johnnygweir 
from this beautiful @taraandjohnny set”


(IDK but apparently somehow this guy is involved...)
Via Eli Heiten: “I got a Johnny Weir for Hannukah! 
He got a crystal bow tie...everyone wins!”


Via @TaraandJohnny: “The adventures continue....”
Can’t wait to find out what they are!

And now, onto Albany!



Please enjoy this guest post from fan Rachel Machinton, who made the trip up from Boston to see Johnny in Albany this past weekend at this lovely free event. Rachel has met Johnny before, but each time it’s wonderful all over again. Here’s how her latest Johnny adventure went:

Every time I see Johnny, whether in person or on TV, every time I read or watch another interview, I can’t help but be amazed by what a gentleman he is. Albany was, of course, no exception.

The event began with a short but dazzling display of Johnny on ice, after which he invited everyone to come skate. I was thrilled. I wanted to dash onto the ice like an extraordinarily talented 12-year-old on a frozen Pennsylvania cornfield. Unfortunately, I was paralyzed by fear. I’m not a skater. I’ve been told I dance like one, but that’s on solid ground. On ice, my only experience is those two or three weeks each winter when my elementary school PE class would turn us loose on the hockey rink.

I put one foot on the ice, felt horribly uncomfortable, and called my friends for help. They led me out, and I managed one slow, board-stabilized lap before getting in line to chat with Johnny.

When I finally got to the front of the line, he turned to me and opened his arms for a hug. I pushed off from my hand-holding friend and let myself glide those last few feet into his arms, using his hug like a wall to stop myself. My advice to anyone who has the chance to meet Johnny on ice is to do the same, even if your skating skills (or lack thereof) don’t require it. His strong but gentle embrace and his soft fur coat made me feel like I was falling onto a heavenly cloud and into the arms of a life-sized teddy bear.

We exchanged pleasantries and discussed our Russian hats. (OMG I got a fashion compliment from my personal fashion god favorite fashion icon!).  I congratulated him on making so many “Best of 2014” lists, and on creating To Russia With Love. He thanked me and gave me the shy smile of someone surprised by a compliment. I also congratulated him on being the only person in the world who could get me onto the ice. I explained that I haven’t skated in about 25 years (and wasn’t too good at it even then), don’t really do well on anything slippery, and hate the cold. As I was pointing out to him what a great inspiration and ambassador for his sport he is, he turned it around and reframed the situation to make me sound like the amazing one. He congratulated me on getting out there and doing the best I could at something way outside my comfort zone, especially on a rink with poor ice conditions that made it so much more difficult.

We continued to chat about Albany, architecture, and egg-shaped things, and I realized that even though there were three lines of people waiting to talk to him, he wasn’t going to hurry me (or anyone else) so that he could move on to the next adoring fan. I’d have loved to stay and chat all day, but I said my goodbyes and stumbled slipped skated away.

When the “skate with Johnny” portion ended, my friends and I headed to the rinkside cafe to warm up and rest our feet. Johnny took his spot at an outdoor table to sign autographs. As we indulged in an hour of warmth in the cafe, we saw Johnny getting noticeably colder. Near the end of the signing, he was alternately rubbing his hands together and warming them on the side of his coffee cup between autographs, and jumping up and down and rubbing his legs between conversations. 

But he never rushed people along or cut off the line.

He stayed out there, freezing, until every last fan had gotten their time with him and he’d thanked each one for coming out and braving the cold to see him.

So let me say here: Thank YOU, Johnny! Thank you for your dazzling performances, your bravery, your dedication to your work and your fans, your generosity with your time. And most of all, thank you for just being you, the sweet-to-your-bones and true-to-yourself guy who inspires us to be our best selves and somehow manages to stay humble despite worldwide fame and adoration. I’ll stand out in the cold and struggle my way across the ice for you anytime!


Rachel and Johnny in Albany.
Exclusive photo © Sinikka Grant.



Please click any photo for the full-size image. Many of these are gigantic (just the way we like them), so they will seriously take some time to load. But as always, they’re well worth the wait. Photos not otherwise sourced are exclusives courtesy of Sinikka Grant (thank you, dear Sinikka!).



He’s here!




Getting ready to take the ice.


Johnny opens the event with a brief but beautiful skate.


Via Times-Union.


Via Times-Union.


Yes!! We have video! 
Thanks to Anastasia Pryanikova for this version!
Video link.


And thanks to Sinikka Grant for this one!
Video link.


Adjusting The Hat, which really should 
have its own Instagram by now.
Via Times-Union.


Next, he gave a brief speech to invite everyone 
to come and skate with him.
Via Empire State Plaza.


Via Empire State Plaza.


Yay video!! 
Thanks to Anastasia Pryanikova.
Video link.


And another view, thanks to Sinikka Grant.
Video link.


Johnny: Thank you [to person handing him the microphone]. Well, good morning, everybody. I had to have a little twirl on the ice before it gets all scratched up, but I want to invite all of you to come out and skate and enjoy the day. It’s beautiful, there’s no snow, and it’s crisp. [laughter at his understatement] But I’m so happy to be in Albany. I haven’t been for a long time, and it’s really a pleasure to skate with all of you today, so please get on the ice and let’s have fun!


While fans lined up to meet him on the ice, 
he chatted with the assembled media.
Via Blue Shield of NENY.
See Johnny’s interviews here and here!


Via Times-Union.


Via Empire State Plaza.


Via Times-Union.


Via @jess_on_ice: “Selfie w/ Johnny #bucketlist”

Jess also wrote a short piece on her blog about meeting Johnny:

I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing one Johnny Weir this weekend. He was in town for a meet and greet with local skaters and fans.

I didn’t quite know what to expect going into it—having interviewed many celebrities in the past, it’s a crapshoot as to whether they’ll be cool or not—but I am happy to say that Johnny was polite, polished and genuine during my conversation with him. And he was gracious enough to indulge my need to take a selfie with him.

We chatted about a lot of things, and I will post the interview as soon as it airs!


And now it’s time for fans to (politely) swarm him!
Via Times-Union.


Via Times-Union.


Via Times-Union.


Johnny with Anastasia Pryanikova 
and her lovely daughter Lexi! 
Lexi has met Johnny many times, 
so they’re old friends now.








Yes, we want to see his new skates! 
Thank you, Sinikka!


Via Times-Union.


Via Times-Union.


Via Times-Union.


Via Empire State Plaza.

Via Times-Union.




Via Times-Union.






Rachel and Johnny!


Via Empire State Plaza.


Via Empire State Plaza.


Via Molly Tarleton: “Met the fabulous 
@JohnnyGWeir today!#EmpireSkatePlaza”


Via Times-Union.


Sinikka and Johnny!




Via @meeowmd: “That time I met @johnnygweir 
and decided it was best to talk exclusively 
about postpartum snissing. #bestdayever”


A convo that clearly required hugs.
Via Times-Union.


Via Times-Union.


Via @flythisforme: “@johnnygweir thanks for being 
so awesome and listening to Kelly’s 
‘snissing’ stories! We love you!”



























Via @seanmacari: “Ice skating with Johnny Weir.”












Via @shannononon23: “Laced up my skates for 
the first time in forever to meet my figure skating idol 
Johnny Weir ❄️ #figureskating #johnnyweir”


Via @duckies07: “Met Johnny Weir 10 years ago. 
Was too afraid to ask for a picture.
Met Johnny Weir today. Struck a pose.
#redemption #10yearslater


Via @mollyyy1818: “Met the amazinggg Johnny Weir 
on the ice today. not everyday you get to 
skate with an Olympic medalist”


Via @lilysk8s: “♥ @johnnygweir”


Via @jessmokhiber: “The fabulous #johnnyweir 
in the #518! #albany #olympicfigureskater #nobigdeal!”


Via @lizzydinuzzo: “Do you see him blessing her feet?? 
One day he can say he knew her way back when... 
#mydaphnecat #johnnyweir #americanhero @johnnygweir”




And now it’s time for the autograph portion, 
and more selfies with Johnny!


As with every Johnny event, there’s a long line of fans.
Via Empire State Plaza.


Via Times-Union.


Via Times-Union.


Via Empire State Plaza.


Via Empire State Plaza.


Via Empire State Plaza.


Via @treblemaker916: “just met Johnny Weir 
#johnnyweir #figureskating”


Via @heyaudzz: “Causally ran into olympic skater 
Johnny Weir today. What a cutie ❄️


Via @debbiescary: “Just met @johnnygweir! 
He was so sweet and well aware of the @albanyallstars 
flyering contest! #albany #downtownalbany #rollerderby 
#figureskating #aasrd #albanyny”


Via @flythisforme: “With @johnnygweir 
at Empire State Plaza!”


Kelly, our awesome “snissing” fan, 
gets an autograph.
Via Times-Union.


With reps from Hannaford, who sponsored the free event.
Via Times-Union.


Via Meg Parsons: “Monkee and I meeting 
@JohnnyGWeir on a crisp Albany afternoon. 
Thank you for being awesome.”

Rachel chatted with Meg at the event and learned that “Meg knows how to introduce herself in five different languages. so when it was her turn to talk to him, she chose Russian. She said his surprise at having someone do that in upstate NY, of all places, was absolutely adorable. And of course, he was impressed and appreciative.”




Via Times-Union: Meg and Monkee 
with their signed poster from Johnny, 
upon which he wrote “спасибо!” 
[Thank you!” in Russian].



And one more from Sinikka.



Very special thanks to Sinikka Grant 
and Anastasia Pryanikova for the exclusive 
photos and videos, and to Rachel Machinton
for guest posting!

Happy holidays to all Johnny’s fans around the world!