Friday, February 20, 2015

Johnny Weir and Dick Button: A Very Special #FBF Video

ITNY_JW_DButton_20-5_e1B_crop_4
Johnny and Dick at the ITNY “Dare to Be Different”
gala honoring Johnny, October 2011.
Exclusive photo © David Keyser.



As we look forward to Johnny’s NBC commentary, the following brief clip is both touching and amazingly prophetic.

This interview was done the day after Johnny skated his long program at the 2006 Winter Olympic Games in Torino. Video courtesy of Judi Zimmerman. I love this.



Video link.

Transcript:

Off-camera announcer: Here’s one from Johnny, in Newark, Delaware, who asks: “Hey Dick: Can I tell you something right now?”

JW: Dick, can I have your job when you’re done with it?

DB: Yes, you can have it right now. If I could skate like you, I’d take your job any day of the world. But you can have my job and do it a lot better than I do.

JW: Fantastic.

DB: And by the way, nice going here. I think you’re just a terrific skater. It’s a real pleasure for me to be able to say that in public, that I just think he’s a marvelous skater with great sensibility and great sensitivity and—I mean, I enjoy watching you all the time.

JW: Thank you.

Mary Carillo: All right, thank you very much to both of you. We’ll be back with more from the OI right after this.