Thursday, September 2, 2010

Time-Travelogue!

I'm still struggling with that whole time-space continuum thingy, in which people in Beijing can send emails from tomorrow and I can get them yesterday but they're full of stuff that happened while I was still waiting for the future last month which technically was Monday or Tuesday, but since I'm still catching up it feels kind of current, and it's all relative anyway, depending on your definition of E=mc2 (mine is "Everything is more cool if there are 2x as many pics of Johnny"), so with that in mind, let us travel back in time to rejoin our program already in progress (actually, it's over and the credits are running, but I have TiVo so I paused it to wait for you) in which we have fabulous picspam beginning with Johnny on the plane to China (please click photos for larger view):




And continuing with the arrival of both himself and his luggage, for which the Chinese tried valiantly to prepare:


And then we skip ahead to a practice session:

(Please note that I am in no way poking fun
at Stephane's wonderful accent,
but rather just trying to capture
the flavor of his speech here. He is amazing,
and I love the way he speaks in any language. :)


And we conclude with this brief clip, which I love for three reasons: (1) It's Johnny, (2) He's alone in this space for a moment; (3) Other than some quiet conversation in the background, the only sound is the slicing of his skates across the ice. The video is fuzzy at first, although it shifts into better focus a few seconds after he lands the jump. And I love the metaphor of that: a little blurry uncertainty; a leap of determined faith; and then--clarity.


Speaking of clarity, I continue to be enthralled with the dialogue between Johnny and Shigesato Itoi in the course of their interview. In Part 4, Itoi-san's sensitive questioning elicits this fascinating
self-revelation from Johnny:

I think I was born different. When I skate my best performances, all of my feelings and emotions come from my soul. Figure skating is my outlet, my art, my painting, my fashion design. It's how I speak, and I speak from my soul. When I'm off the ice, I think I act more from my heart. "Soul" and "heart" are two different things for me. The soul is something that is inside you when you are born, and the last thing you feel when you die. But your heart is what makes you "yourself." It's what gives you a face; it's what gives you color. It's what gives you vibrancy. For me, on the ice, it's "soul." Off the ice, it's "heart." It's good to have both. If I were the same everywhere, I would probably be bored.

I'm still pondering this beautiful piece of poetry as I await Part 5 today / tomorrow / yesterday with the wistful wish that this interview would never end ...



Twitter voting roundup!
Vote here for Johnny to win "Follow Me."
Current rank: #1
8 voting days remaining.

Vote here for Johnny to win "Sexiest Twitter"!
Current rank: #3
2 voting days remaining.

Vote here for Johnny to win "Mr. Twitter"!
He ended August's contest at #3,
and has been renominated for September!
Current rank: #5
29 voting days remaining.

Vote here for Gail Turley's blog
"WheresMyKoppy" to win "Best Blog"
Current rank: #5
15 voting days remaining.


Hey! Check out this clip of Johnny
from the Rachel Zoe Project!
The episode in which he appears
is coming up next Tuesday, September 7, on Bravo!

Yes! Johnny Is skating in Yu-Na Kim's fabulous show,
All That Skate, in Los Angeles in October!
Everything you need to know about tickets
and special gatherings of The Cabal
is right here!

Weirlandians for Life organizer Gary Podschun
notes that we're a little more than one month away
from the Chicago AIDS Walk,
and WE STILL NEED AT LEAST TWO MORE PEOPLE
TO OFFICIALLY FORM A TEAM!
Please visit the group page here for more info.
We hope to see Johnny well-represented by his fans
at the walk on October 2!

Very special thanks to
Agentress Extraordinaire Tara Modlin
for so generously sharing these pics and vids!

Coming soon: More in the series
of translated interviews from the Mook Book
courtesy of the fabulous Akiko Nakata!

copyright 2010 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserved

8 comments:

Beth (twitter-bsontwit) said...

I dont want this interview to end either! So glad there's still more! Thanks for the pics MM!!funny caps! ♥ #stillspeechless

Anonymous said...

ZEBRASWAN FOREVER. Just saying.

Love the skating clip - glad to see he still has his triple lutz!

Wendy S said...

Thanks for this morning's laugh!

I think this latest interview installment is my favorite so far. Johnny's self-awareness and willingness to open his innards to others is incredibly endearing. He offers himself up, for people to take or leave. Maintaining individuality in society is a challenge, but it takes a true, courageous spirit to be that open to the world.

Please keep smiling, Johnny, we love it!

xo!

PumaJ said...

"Figure skating is my outlet, my art, my painting, my fashion design. It's how I speak, and I speak from my soul."

Yes! It is that which is the transcendentally luminous genius of Johnny on the ice:-) When blessed with the witnessing of such luminosity, we become transformed.

Thank you, Binks for opening a window through which we can witness Johnny, today.

Jessica Lane said...

Fab job, mama. The space/time continuum is driving me crazy. If we can manage to loop a wormhole between the US and China using the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland (fueled by Swiss chocolate – it is zee best!) and step through the intervening space without exploding into a trillion split atoms thus blowing half of the earth to kingdom come we could, like, totes watch Johnny skate live! It’d be worth the risk, I think.

And all agentresses must be stored in the over head compartment or under the seat in front of you. To prevent injury, make sure all items are stored securely and unless your agentress has escaped, pushed all the buttons on your chair, taken FABULOUS pictures of you when you weren’t looking thus making you giggle, and incredible fans flood the plane showering you with roses, the cutest stickers every made, and 1,000 pandas our flight should go smoothly. In case of emergency, use Evan’s ego for a flotation device. If ego is to large, use Stephane, he won’t mind.

Anonymous said...

Thanxoxo so much for this funny & fruitful blog *^o^* I enjoyed it very much! <3 <3

Nancy Knisley said...

When I saw the overhead bin photo, I wondered if perhaps Johnny had been trying to arrange the bin's contents by color.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! Pics! And special Johnny words about heart and soul! Think I'm just gonna roll myself up in this blog post like a warm & cozy new blankie and just snuggle.

Hmm . . . do you think we'd get in trouble if we kidnapped the NYMag "writer" and sent her to Japan to empty the wastebaskets and sharpen pencils while she absorbed the vibes of a great writer?

And . . . *clears throat* . . . ZEBRASWAN!!!! . . . *ahem* . . .

Love ya, gurl!

Princess Johnny-Love