Thursday, December 2, 2010

Brief Random Roundup ...

... Because I Have No Idea WTF Time It Is Anywhere Least of All Australia As There Is Math Involved Although the World Clock Site Helps So Let's Just Go With a Bunch of Links and Visuals From Johnny's First Full Day in Melbourne While "Down Under" Runs Endlessly Through Our Heads.


Johnny has breakfast with Tara:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand immediately I hear the line, "He just smiled, and gave me a Vegemite sandwich" in my mind.

[cue Men At Work's "Down Under" from 1982 kayso I'm old but I love this song]

Traveling in a fried-out Kombi / On a hippie trail, head full of zombie / I met a strange lady, she made me nervous / She took me in and gave me breakfast / And she said: / "Do you come from a land down under / Where women glow and men plunder / Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder / You better run, you better take cover."

From Wikipedia: "Vegemite is a dark brown Australian food paste made from yeast extract. It is a spread for sandwiches, toast, crumpets and cracker biscuits, and filling for pastries. ... It is salty, slightly bitter, and malty--similar to beef bouillon. The texture is smooth and sticky."

Buying bread from a man in Brussels / He was six foot four and full of muscle / I said, "Do you speak-a my language?" / He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich / And he said: / "I come from a land down under / Where beer does flow and men chunder / Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder / You better run, you better take cover."

Johnny does an interview with Eddie McGuire on the Triple M Hot Breakfast show (note: Johnny's portion starts at about the halfway point on the podcast file):


Lying in a den in Bombay / With a slack jaw, and not much to say / I said to the man, "Are you trying to tempt me? / Because I come from the land of plenty." / And he said: / "Oh! Do you come from a land down under (oh yeah yeah) / Where women glow and men plunder / Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder / You better run, you better take cover."

Johnny does another interview. I love the reporter's tweet:

We are ... / Livin' in a land down under / Where women glow and men plunder (yeahhhhhhhhhh) / Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder? (thunderrrrr!) / You better run, you better take cover.

Johnny makes a new friend, Australian Olympic diver Matthew Mitcham. Mitcham posted the highest single-dive score ever in the men's 10-meter platform event to win the gold medal in the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing:

After their meeting, Johnny tweeted, "I freaking love @matthew_mitcham. Follow him, you will love him too!" He later posted the yfrog pic above with the caption: "How pouty? Wishing @matthew_mitcham so much luck in tomorrows championships! Love him!"

For his part, Matt tweeted: "I guess it's no secret then.. I'm meeting @JohnnyGWeir today! Thuper exthited dear god, don't let me make a douche of myself, k? Cheers."

Then he posted the pic above on plixi with the caption: "By far the most fabulous interview of my life. @JohnnyGWeir, the fiercest thing on ice *gurrrlfriend click* ^__^" He also posted the pic to his Facebook fan page: "Omg I met Johnny Weir today. Probably one of the most epically fabulous interviews ever."

I love him.

I also love this quote of Matt's: "I don’t see sexuality as influencing my beliefs or opinions or perceptions of anybody, whether they’re gay, straight, bi, trans, experimental, I don’t care. I see it as a very uninfluential factor in people."

Yes. This.

Livin' in a land down under / Where women glow and men plunder / Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder? (oooo yeahhhh!) / Then I run, and then I take cover. (yeah)

And finally, Johnny performed in the premiere of Harbour Town on Ice, after which he tweeted at about 3:45 am my time which was 8:45 pm his time which means he's already heading toward Friday while I'm not really through with my Wednesday though technically it's Thursday at least in this hemisphere:

We love you too, BB. Wherever and whenever you are.

Livin' in a land down under / Where women glow and men plunder (yeahhhhhhhhhh) / Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder? (thunderrrrr!) / You better run, you better take cover.




The next episode of Skating With the Stars
airs next Monday, December 6,
at 8 pm EST / 7 pm CST!
Don't miss it!




Yes! There are still VIP meet-n-greet tickets available
for Holiday Dreams on Ice,
the spectacular December 11 show starring Johnny
and hosted by Perani Ice Arena in Flint, Michigan!
The meet-n-greet is limited to just 50 guests,
so reserveVIP tickets today with this form!

Please remember to check out
Johnny's new official website!
It debuted recently to many rave reviews
on Twitter and Facebook,
so be sure to take a look around!
Love the intro page with the Swan photo
and handwritten note from Johnny. :)


Designer T. Rains and Johnny have teamed up to raise money and awareness for The Trevor Project! This organization is "determined to end suicide among LGBTQ youth by providing life-saving and life-affirming resources." Proceeds from the "Army of One" t-shirt sales will go to The Trevor Project foundation. Order yours today! Your support is greatly appreciated!
For more information, please visit www.thetrevorproject.org.




Yes! You can own a fine art print of Johnny
perfect for any/every room in the house!
Prints of artist Peter Jurik's "Showtime!"
are available for purchase from his website.
More info here!

Here it comes: Johnny's quarter-century memoir,
Welcome to My World, will be available
January 11, 2011--that's just two months away!
You can preorder it now on Amazon!

Please remember to register to receive
the JW Art Project's email newsletter!
They have great tidbits to offer,
and you get a special sneak peek at an exclusive photo
from the Artbook when you sign up!


copyright 2010 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserved

10 comments:

Novia said...

Jason Mraz sang that song once, acoustics, and while Tara's tweet didn't trigger such an avalanche of recollection, LOL, your blog does remind me of the reason why I love Mraz.

And Johnny. And his generous soul. I'm following Matt now, because Johnny said so, LOL. And while I thought I had made peace with not being in Melbourne getting lost and frazzled but uplifted by meeting Johnny, his last tweet made me ache again. For a brief second. Before my eyebrows rose at the word church, as my mind conjured the image of Johnny, his manicured fingers steepled over the backrest of the pew in front of him, eyes closed in pious concentration (like those seconds just before he went on ice in competitions, where he communed with the God of his universe), mouthing prayers like, "Dear God. Let Matthew win tomorrow in a fashionable way. Amen." Oh, Johnny...

And Matthew. Who is just too hot and too cute for word.

Thanks so much for the update! :D

Debora Walsh said...

Sneaking away from my work again to comment,,,naughty, naughty...! Thanks Binky for blowing the dust of the Men at Work tune, I too remember distinctly when this video was in heavy rotation on MTV, back when they actually played music videos!...and now it is stuck in my head all over again!

I was sooo happy to catch a glimpse of Butch & Grams in the radio interview footage, and then...to hear the super Matthew Mitcham squeeing like a total Johnny stanner?...Oh my God! So cute! Could they be any more gorgeous? Nope, didn't think so.

Very psyched for the second season of BGJW and to see in what direction Johnny's channeling the focus...so many great things are happening for him (as they should be).

Gotta run,,,excited to get all of the updates; I hope all of his Aussie fans are enjoying his stay, he sounds like he is! Thanks again Binky!

PumaJ said...

Love that song, in which when I heard this line, " He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich", brought back the forgotten memory of having actually eaten a few Vegemite sandwiches several years in the past:-)

I am tickled by the mutual admiration society that has sprung up between Johnny and Matthew. Very sweet, indeed.

Atomic Wife said...

Sigh...... he will win anyone over with his politeness, kindness and of course, his lovely green eyes.

My favorite part of his radio interview: "Australia is mystical to Americans. They have kangaroos and koalas." How does he come up with this stuff.

He is brilliant and beautiful and I love him so much.

Thanks for the Down Under update MM!

Nancy Knisley said...

I've never had Vegemite, but I have several friends who are 'Stralian, and they don't have much good to say about it.

That said, I'm sure a plate of soggy cardboard would taste yummy if I were dining with Johnny.

Although...the way Tara worded her tweet, "vegemite with Johnny," I started imagining her spreading the Vegemite *on* Johnny. And, without a doubt, that would be really yummy. [Bad Nancy!Bad, bad, Nancy!]

Lauren / Ren said...

Hmmm, I keep thinking about Star Trek. Time Traveling man of the future. Maybe Johnny really is Future Guy?? (Star Trek: Enterprise Series). We already have the graphic of Johnny and the transporter :P

Oh and veggimite is really good. ^^

Maggie St. said...

Dear G-d: If Johnny is truly in the future, could you please let him come back home and give me the winning Mega Million lottery numbers for Friday? KTHXBI

Picturing Johnny trotting off to church in heels and hat. Makes me smile.

aaaack said...

Here's hoping soon to see photos of Johnny with a 'roo, with a koala, etc. Those 'roos can jump very high and far, so here's hoping that one has been trained to do one of those flying turn leaps or even an axel.

Aussies should feed Johnny a Pavlova for a snack instead of Vegemite. Vegemite is recycled beer yeast. Having once made beer the traditional way in the past, and remembering the globby, clotted brown stuff left at the bottom of the bottle, I can't say I'm very optimistic about transforming that into something that approaches delectable. The suffix of "mite" also has distasteful associations with tiny insects and cheap copper coins.

In contrast, Pavlovas are ethereal desserts with a great story behind them http://en.wikipedia.or/wiki/Pavlova(food) I'm a fan of foods that resemble crunchy clouds, and Pavlovas made with raspberries sound like a maximum of texture and flavor with a minimum of calories and fat.

aaaack said...

The name Vegemite reminds me of Vitameatavegemin, a product touted by Lucille Ball in I Love Lucy here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m1Nubw8XJw

WheresMyKoppy said...

Great Blog, MM!

aaaack, lol to the Lucy reference! 'I Love Lucy' is one of my favorite shows!

Yesterday when I signed on I had to ask people who Matthew was, once I thought about the answer I realized I had of course seen him win his gold medal on TV from Beijing. I was actually rooting for him and wanted him to get the medal as I remember now!

Anyway, I love that JOhnny coming to Australia was so looked forward to by so many people there, and I love how he was received upon his arrival by both fans and media. You have to love people who apologize to an American arriving in their country for the weather not being perfect... (saw a couple tweets in Johnny's stream at Twitter re the weather not being perfect when he arrived); and thanks for now getting 'Down Under' stuck in everyone's head Tara, lol! It amazes me how many of us immediately thought of Men At Work singing 'Down Under' when we saw that reference to vegemite!