Thursday, December 16, 2010

HDOI: Best. Meet. And. Greet. EVER.

The man of the hour listens attentively to one of his fans.
This meet-n-greet was by far the best one
I've been to or heard about from other fans:
Just the right number of people; very low-key and relaxed;
lovely buffet (I like food!); and the chance for each fan
to really get to visit with Johnny.
Thank you so much, Tara, and everyone involved,
for caring enough to create the perfect VIP package!


I'm a little quiet this week because the day after we made it home from Flint, we had to say goodbye to our oldest kitty, Maggie, who died quite unexpectedly. So today I'm just going to let my son David's pictures from the HDOI meet-n-greet do the talking, because there's nothing I could write that would do these justice anyway. I've been rolling around in them for hours because Johnny is good medicine for anything that ails you--including a slightly broken heart.


 Johnny greets the other skaters
after entering the VIP room.


And then: Yep, he's surrounded.


One of the first fans to get a picture with Johnny.


Johnny is delighted with Ming,
given to him by Mel Lockhart.


He loves this gift too, also from Mel.


Johnny and Dana Harold,
who came all the way from Seattle
to meet him for the first time.


Johnny helps Dana's son, Connor,
decide whether or not the photo on the phone
is good enough.


Johnny and Tony Russell,
who made the trip up with Paula Parsons.


Johnny autographs a Christmas ornament
for Julie Findon.


Johnny with Katrina O'Leary, another first-timer.
Read all about Katrina's fanTAStic HDOI experience
in her Facebook note!


Gary Podschun with Johnny.
Gary wore the most fabulous outfit:
Black shirt, black tights/jegging, black boots,
and a black-and-white kilt.
I told him on our way to the meet-n-greet
that his outfit was awesome, which it was,
and he replied wryly: "I don't think the people here in Flint
are used to seeing men in skirts..."
But we decided it was good for them.


 Aaaaaaaaand he's still surrounded....


More lucky fans get a picture with Johnny.
I'm sorry to say I didn't catch their names,
but they were having a wonderful time,
just like the rest of us!


 Johnny signs autograph after autograph
after autograph--patiently, kindly, and graciously,
as always.


 I think he's having a good time too!


 I love this picture. Love it.


Yes! I met Butch (David Barba) and Grämz (James Pellerito)!
I love them! And I even managed to say so!
I also got to meet Eric Altomare,
who is just as warm and friendly in person as he is on Twitter,
but somehow we have no pic to document
the fabulousness that ensued...


Facebook fans pose for the family portrait.
Seated, left to right: Jian Li (another first-timer
who was so wonderfully excited about it all!),
Connor, and Dana. Standing, back row:
Katrina, Mel, Gary, me, and Julie.


Epilogue: Even though he'd just spent recent days traveling
from NJ to LA to Australia to LA to San Antonio to Michigan
and really HAD to be tired,
Johnny was kind, attentive, and full of good humor.
For. Every. Last. Fan.



The cover art for "Dirty Love" just appeared yesterday
on Amazon and on Johnny's website. OMGIDIE.



The next episode of Skating With the Stars
airs next Monday, December 20,
at 8 pm EST / 7 pm CST!
Don't miss it!
(Dear Santa: All I want for Weirmas
is STILL for Bethenny to please please just go away.)


Designer T. Rains and Johnny have teamed up to raise money and awareness for The Trevor Project! This organization is "determined to end suicide among LGBTQ youth by providing life-saving and life-affirming resources." Proceeds from the "Army of One" t-shirt sales will go to The Trevor Project foundation. Order yours today! Your support is greatly appreciated!
For more information, please visit www.thetrevorproject.org.



Yes! You can own a fine art print of Johnny
perfect for any/every room in the house!
Prints of artist Peter Jurik's "Showtime!"
are available for purchase from his website.
More info here!

Here it comes: Johnny's quarter-century memoir,
Welcome to My World, will be available
January 11, 2011--that's less than a month away!
You can preorder it now on Amazon!
Or pre-order a special autographed Collector's Edition
from Premiere Collectibles!

All photos courtesy of David Ingogly,
who's a little tired of Mom bugging him for them
but remains unfailingly patient and kind, just like Johnny...

Please remember to
register to receive
the JW Art Project's email newsletter!
They have great tidbits to offer,
and you get a special sneak peek at an exclusive photo
from the Artbook when you sign up!

copyright 2010 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserved

14 comments:

Gary said...

This is a wonderful photo essay. You may be quiet this week, but the pictures say so much. Thank you and David for capturing what words can't really express!

Anonymous said...

First of all, I am so sorry about Maggie. Losing a pet is hard. xoxo

Second of all, thank you MM for sharing!! I ALMOST went to Flint, so upset I could not get there. Its not such an easy trip from NYC to Flint, Michigan though...

It seems everyone who went feels it was the best meet n greet ever, I really hope this gets back to Tara and theres other meet and greets like this in the future!! Hopefully one in driving distance of NYC! The one in Lake Placid was the best I have been to until this point.

I will be rocking the book signing though..so excited!!! and dirtylove the same day!! Love the cover and love the song!!

...You think you know me, but I call your bluff ♫♪♫

Beth

aaaack said...

Thank you, David, for the stunning photos and Lynn, for the warm and helpful captions. Everyone has such a heart-felt and genuine smile as captured in those photos.

And thank you, Johnny, for being incredibly gracious in spite of incredible exhaustion. All that cross-time-zone traveling must be turning his brains to scrambled eggs by now.

And thank you, Lynn, for taking the time and energy to share. You must be totally exhausted, too, by all the delays and driving through snow and ice.

Anonymous said...

Super Terrific wonderful photos, can't imagine having hundreds like that to look at! *right-click-Save* *right-click-Save* *right-click-Save*

And the pic of me is not terribly awful, as a rule I don't photograph well but I don't mind that one. Bring David next time, too, he's great!

-Katrina

Unknown said...

Binky,

I wonder if he knows how many of us fans just love looking at him or interacting with him (lucky you) when he is not "ON" - there is no makeup, there is no agenda, there is no formal interview - it's just the fans who want to meet him and show him that they really do appreciate!!

Thank you for all of the great photos, because we all wish we could feel like we were there too. :)

TK

Nico said...

Binks!
There is something about his hair that's striving (wildly, no less!) to look like yours. You two need to stop hanging out together so much; you're beginning to look like twins!
xoxoxo thank you for sharing xoxoxox
love love,
Neeks

Atomic Wife said...

Thanks Misfit for the beautiful pictures and captions. Still so jealous but happy for you. So sorry for the loss of your kitty. I understand that completely.

Can I just say that the family portrait brought a little tear to my eye. Well, it did. What a wonderful family we have here thanks to Johnny.

ox

Debora Walsh said...

I am very sorry for the loss of your dear Maggie. With a family like yours around her, she must have been very special indeed.

David's pictures do all the talking today...who cannot look at that gorgeous face; that face that had been through countless time zones, interviews, photo sessions, workouts, bouts of insomnia, performances, press junkets, airplanes, cars, suitcases, and TV drama, all in the space of a couple of weeks, and not be in complete love with it?

Kudos to Tara for what I can see was the best meet & greet ever...I'm happy that it was as relaxed and informal for Johnny as it was for the fans, and that he had quality face time with everyone there. He really is an extraordinarily giving person, especially to his fans, and to see him surrounded by so much love and appreciation had to have bolstered his waning energies! Johnny and his work bring so much joy and happiness to us all, and is the cause of so many new friendships and passions, that I hope in his quietest moments, he can feel even just an inkling of our love and support of him, and know how much good he brings to this life.

Thank you David for these wonderfully real and candid photos…I can’t wait to see the rest! Haus of Binky is one gifted little hotbed of journalistic talent, isn’t it?! And could somebody please let me see Gary’s outfit & boots? I have been excited to see the complete ensemble forever! Thank you Binky,,,love you!!!

Nancy Knisley said...

Thanks to David for allowing his mommy to post his fabulous photos, and to you, Binky, for doing the posting.

Maggie St. said...

♥ Rest In Peace, sweet kitty Maggie ♥


Thank you Davey for these wonderful pics of sleepy, scruffy Johnny. Johnny Weir AND Food? Damn, I know I should have gone! ;)

Beside seeing Johnny (always a thrill) I love meeting and getting together with all the people I've come to know from his Facebook page.

I'm happy he took a year "off". Just hope he's enjoying himself as much as we are. Now, I just wonder how many mornings in a row I will be waking up, humming "Dirty Love".

WheresMyKoppy said...

First MM, sorry about Maggie! Tough to lose a beloved pet!

Second, it's great to see all the photos of fans with Johnny! (And still sorry I don't have one of my own with him!)

Third, David's photos are amazing, he might actually make me look good in a photo, lol!

Fourth, I love JOhnny's hair and the outfit he is wearing. How can he look so good and manage to be so gracious when he's been working so hard??!!

Fifth, MM you never cease to amaze me!

Unknown said...

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. In spite of that, you kindly shared these beautiful pictures with us. Binky and David, thank you very much!!

As he says in interviews, Johnny always enjoys meeting and talking with his fans, but as far as I know, he hasn't looked so happy and relaxed as in these pictures. I'm so happy for you, all the lucky fans, and for me too, to be able to see such happy people. Thanks very much again.

laworship said...

Wonderful! Thank you MM for sharing with all of us all things about our Hero JW.
I love the Picture's I love that he looks like he has been skating and not all done up or made up!
He is Unique and Truly Beautiful as Pure Johnny!

Princess Johnny-Love ♥ said...

oh Misfit, i'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. *Big HUG* losing one of our furry babies is always so hard. *more hugs*

thank you so much for sharing David's pics with us. he's got it going on - they're awesome! great framing, variety of shots, and working the room to make sure he got everyone.

Johnny looks so tired (but happy) in these shots. i really hope he gets a time out soon, if only to spend a day peacefully cleaning!