Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ready to Weir

Johnny concentrates on making final adjustments
to his dress collection at eDressMe headquarters in NYC.
Original photo on the eDressMeNow blog
(be sure to click on the photo once it loads to get the FULL size,
which is absolutely breathtakingly HUGE and DETAILED).
I will love the eDressMe people forever for graciously
understanding the photo-sizing requirements of Johnny's fans. ♥
has yet more photos and is made of WIN.


These are the words that strike fear in the hearts of overall-clad freelance writers everywhere (and hey, the overalls are on a good day in which I have actually managed not to spend 24 hours nonstop at my computer in worn fleece pajamas with faded little kitties all over them):

ICE DREAMS u Johnny Weir: Who will join Johnny at the VIP Party this year? It is going to be FORMAL AND FUN!! Thanks to our exciting partners Edressme @a-zentertainment @dotiliquor @twochefs cafe and catering ... our party is going to be full of fabulous fashion, exciting music, tasty wine and yummy hors d'oeuvers ... and of course our amazing skating stars!

Wait wha ... ?

"FORMAL AND FUN!!"

I'm sorry, did you say "FORMAL"?

"AND FUN!!"

Erm.

Yeah.

Well.

All righty then!

(Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? Or at least for those of us for whom "fashionable" means "the food stains are not as noticeable if you wear a large necklace. And maybe a scarf. Also a jacket. Oh wait--the jacket has coffee stains ...")

So I am once again faced with the same Dr. Seuss-ish question I pondered last year at Ice Dreams time: What does one wear when one goes to Weir, as it were?

Or the short form: What is worthy Weir-wear?

(Off-topic: "WeirWear" clearly should be the next clothing line he designs involving a range of items inspired by whatever strikes his fancy at any particular moment because "WeirWear" just kind of covers it all, doesn't it? It could be anything from his take on the say-something underpant [which seriously would sell out faster than his Japan shirts] to simple layered tanks [NOT baby tees] to whimsical leggings streaked with ice cream colors in homage to CazwellNYC, paired with jackets with detachable bustles ... )

Although Ice Dreams was kind enough to comment later on another thread in response to the general OMGWHATDOWEWEAR panic that had ensued: 

ICE DREAMS: hey everyone... make sure you feel beautiful at the vip party!! sparkly overalls (Misfit Mimes) ball gown with beads (me) sparkly onesie (Johnny Weir) lol!!!
 
So that was very nice. But I've been mulling over wearing the same old thing--or rather, as my dear friend Deb Walsh would warmly phrase it, my "signature look"--and IDK ...
 
Look at that angel face up there, working so hard on his dresses--which are gorgeous, BTW, and I'm not even really a dress person. Ice Dreams is the debut of his beautiful collection, and it's going to be sparkly and fabulous and a tiny bit more elegant than maybe your typical night in Bensenville, now being hailed as the new fashion epicenter thanks to Johnny sweeping into town with all kinds of stunning, and I'm kinda thinking maybe the overalls aren't going to cut it for this one--even if I BeDazzle them, which seemed to be the general consensus on what to do among helpful friends who I'm sure saw "formal" and "Misfit" on the same thread and felt the way you do when you see those DirecTV ads with the tiny giraffes: Wow. That ain't right. It's hilarious, but Just. Not. Right.

So today I'm going shopping, and because said friends all live thousands of miles away, the success of this expedition rests firmly on my daughter Alice's capable shoulders and eye-rolling ability ("Mom. Really? That?"). So we'll see how this goes. As I'm sure is obvious, I'm not much of a shopper--mostly all I ever buy are T-shirts designed by Johnny for various causes, and overalls--so it should be ... challenging frustrating annoying despairing f*ck it I need a Starbucks exciting!

Also my son David is going shopping with us, by which he means he's going to eat lunch silently at the same table at the mall and then sit in the car with the stereo up full blast while we're in the store. And actually he needs something to wear more than I do, since the kid grows out of everything I buy him by the time we get it home. At least he's not fussy about his clothes. His criteria boils down to: "Will it interfere with any of my camera equipment? No? OK."

(BTW even though he has nothing to wear [yet], his brand-new camera bag, which is the size of a small child and can double as a table on which to disassemble everything and also to set up a tripod as well as vote on UN resolutions with a full quorum seated around it, is stocked and ready ... :D)

And so, where last year I decided that my Weir-inspired outfit would be based on the Weir wisdom of "Be yourself!", this year I'm thinking of stretching my wings a bit to perhaps embody a slightly dressier definition of myself than I've ever had before. Which feels appropriately Weir-ish.

So Ice Dreams, here I come! Binky 2.0: The Diva Within. Inspired By Weir. Clothed Without Fear. (But yes, clothed. Dear God, fully clothed. For which we will all be most grateful.)



Another crop of the same photo.
But seriously, don't settle for this one.
You MUST see the original on the eDressMeNow blog! ♥


Ooooo, maybe I can get inspired by this ...
Here's Johnny opening Indashio's NYFW Fall 2011 show!
He also appears again at the end, at about 13:45,
with his Trident gum tucked into the waistband of his pants ...
Thanks to Jenn Kittler for the link!



Yes! We have the answers to yesterday's trivia challenge!
How did you do? :)

1. c; 2. d; 3. b; 4. c; 5. c; 6. d; 7. a; 8. d; 9. d; 10. c;
11. b; 12. a; 13. a; 14. d; 15. c; 16. b; 17. a; 18. c; 19. c; 20. d



Ice Dreams is happening again in Bensenville, IL, on April 30,
featuring the debut of Johnny's eDressMe collection!
For every ticket sold, $1 will be donated to
the Japanese Red Cross.
More info on the Ice Dreams website; buy tickets here!
Want a half-price ticket?
Chleo' C-bladez Glitter Jr. can't go this year
and is willing to sell hers for $20!
Interested? Contact her on Facebook or send me an email
and I'll forward it on to her!



~ Our thoughts, our prayers, our hearts are with you ~
Please order a shirt today to help the people of Japan!
Ordering on Johnny's website ends this Thursday, April 28.
For more ways to pitch in, please see this article.



Yes! At last: Pop Star On Ice is now available on DVD!
Order yours today from the Pop Star On Ice website!



Please help Johnny meet his goal
of raising $10,000 for breast cancer research
by visiting his donor page! Any amount
you can give will help Skate for Hope
in the fight against cancer.
You also can get tickets NOW to see Johnny
perform in Skate for Hope on
Saturday, June 18, in Columbus, OH!
(Same weekend as the Annually Awesome



Johnny tweeted recently:
"Buy my single,'Dirty Love' via iTunes.
Tell all your friends to as well. The more copies sold
takes me one step closer to making a video! №1!"
THE WORLD NEEDS THIS VIDEO
IN THE SAME WAY THAT IT NEEDS AIR.
You know what to do.
Please buy the song from Johnny's website,
or just click the "Buy" button on the player
at the top of the blog!



Hey, Welcome to My World also is available
as an eBook! More info on Johnny's website!


copyright 2011 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserved

8 comments:

germansoulmate said...

Oh, Binky...laughing my behind off. I want pics...right after you have come out of the store.
Your description of your daughter´s way to get you where she thinks you should go...well, it reminds me of my own daughter (eye-roll ability and all).

Great blog....*still grinning*

Peace said...

You will bedazzle the say something underpants off 'em no matter what ensemble you decide on. *Encouraging words from someone who hasn't even worn make-up in four years*

I can't wait to see the slurry of pics and vids and OMGs whatever else happens. Got my vicarious hat on already. I'll be there in spirit! (And here in the corner rocking back and forth humming Lara's Theme from Dr. Zhivago in body.)xo

aaaack said...

Did a quick search for "satin overalls dress" on google and found these Gaultier numbers http://www.stylefeeder.com/i/kxq4gwhn/Djpremium-Com-Jean-Apos-S-Paul-Gaultier-Light-Satin-Overall-Dress-Free-Shipping And http://www1.yoox.com/item.asp?cod10=34200759&tp=11227&tskay=3FD17CD7

If you insist on pants http://stylig.com/336511.html Or www.etsy.com/listing/64869550/light-gray-overalls?ref=sr_gallery_4

Some racy ones in red and black leather? www.etsy.com/listing/56541691/miss-muffet-black-and-red-versatile?ref=sr_gallery_1 OR www.etsy.com/listing/70513314/vintage-patchwork-mini-dress?ref=sr_gallery_16

For your son, a "photographer's vest" www.hillgear.com/acatalog/copy_of_gww.html And to dress it up for the occasion http://far4.net/shop/?main_page=product_info&products_id=158

I'm looking forward to seeing Johnny's designs, though nothing I currently own has sequins or tulle or such. Being a proper fan may involve high maintenance.

aaaack said...

New search for "little black overalls" yields: http://www.boutiques.com/productdetails.py?id=a1ae60050c5686f26072dc73d04503f60e081493&simfilter=2|79 And http://vagabondnyc.blogspot.com/2010/03/smart-buy-80s-minimal-black-overalls.html And http://www.thisnext.com/item/D9FCCA58/09F9CC42/Alexander-Wang-Silk-Overalls

Debora Walsh said...

Binks...I'm so excited to see what sartorial splendor you have in store for what is sure to be a VIP party to write home about! You'll have the ultimate accessory in that radiant smile of yours!

Please give Johnny love for me and for all of us who cannot be there...I wish him every, every, every success on the show and his dresses,,,I hope they all go into backorder!

Princess Johnny-Love ♥ said...

oh, my! Binky's dressing up? better get one of my ballgowns out of storage!

ahhhhhhhh . . . yes, practically life size pics of Johnny do make almost anything better. :-)

and OMG! Johnny bought Vanya a Louis Vuitton bag and not Ping?! why? was Ping extra naughty that week or something?

xo

Robin

WheresMyKoppy said...

LOL! You're description of Alice and her eye rolling abilities reminds me of a certain 16 year old niece I have... And David I can imagine sitting in the car waiting for the women to come out, that would be my nephew also! I can't wait to see what you buy and how you look! I don't wear overalls, but I don't own a single dress either! Can't wait to hear all about Ice Dreams!

Maggie St. said...

Point blank ask Johnny for some fashion tips, i.e.: "What shirt & shoes goes best with overalls"?

Um, if it's any consolation, no one will really be looking at anyone once JGW hits the ice.

Don't fret. I'm left behind in Jersey, waiting for Johnny to design the Fat Black Dress. Or, better yet (for me) the "Fat Tie-Dyed XXL T-Shirt dress".