Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Twitter Voters FTW!

Thank you SO MUCH for your votes!
(click for larger view)


Oh my. And here I am, all tatty-terry-robe goodness, sucking down a venti to which I've added a mysterious pale-yellow liquid (in my house, that would likely be cat pee), glue-gunning the last of the pink chiffon to the shelving units that contain my sizeable collections of plush toys and LladrĂ³ figurines, and absently wondering at the amazing foresight of the God of my heart to plunk me down some months ago in a neighborhood where one can shriek "Cocaine!" on a regular basis and people will either (a) ignore you completely, or (b) come knock at your door and say, "Hey, Imma help you out wit dat...", when all of a sudden happy tweets and FB posts start coming in to congratulate the blog on winning "Best Forum, Message Board, or Blog" in Faxo's Twitter contest!

And now I'm all "I-didn't-expect-to-win-so-I-have-no-speech-prepared" deer-in-the-headlights spazziness. I'm sure this would never happen to someone who, oh, let's say, writes for New York Magazine. I'm sure someone who wields such great power and influence--because imperiously deeming what's "in" and what's "out" fashion-wise is surely the foundation upon which we can feed starving children, help homeless veterans, and finally win the war on terror--sat up late one night years ago typing up her speech for that moment when she finally wins the big one and she will no longer have to feel like an outsider, shifting from foot to foot in a crowded but exuberant apartment with her deep insecurity covered in carefully chosen layers of all the best summer colors but still leaking out in words of subtly poisonous snark fueled by jealousy of people whom she recognizes immediately as the cool kids--one of whom, she also understands both immediately and repeatedly, she will never be. No, that writer has carried her speech in a special compartment in her designer-label purse for years, possibly laminated, often fingered late at night like a rosary, as she waits, perfectly prepared and never in last season's shoes, for her moment.

She's everything I'm not.

For which I am so grateful.

I'm just a blogger. And it's just a silly little Twitter contest. But it was really, really nice of people to vote, and thanks are in order.

So thank you all so much for voting! And thank you for reading!

And most of all, thank you, Johnny Weir, my completely captivating muse, without whom this blog would not be possible.

Your fierce brilliance burst into my world, shattered the old dusty glass that encased my own long-dormant fabulousness, and brought me to life--and to embrace life, in all its glorious highs and lows that can only be fully experienced if one is fully present in them.

You understand that we only get one shot at this thing, and every moment is meant to be lived, and most of them to be savored, remembered, and cherished (and some forgotten as quickly as possible). But there are none to be wasted on sacrificing yourself to please somebody else, or on worry or what-ifs or should-haves or if-onlys.

And so you inspired me to step out and do a small thing I had never done before, to find the voice I had almost lost along the way, and to finally stop thinking that in order to please God, I had to be invisible. No. What is pleasing is for me to be fully and completely myself, the self I was uniquely made to be; to wholly embody who I am; and to not care what anybody else thinks about it.

I wish I had known all this at age 26. But I'm so grateful you helped me discover it now.

As my dear friend and fellow fan Mimi Dzyacky always says, "Johnny Weir changed my life!"

And so, I continue to blog, because you continue to fascinate, and to provide endless inspiration with your talent, wit, grace, and fearlessness, and your willingness to keep taking risks and inviting all of us along for the ride.

Oh, and with your photos. Sweet Weirsus. The photos.

Which brings me back to my absent pondering of stuff that flits through my mind late at night--maybe it's the glue-gun fumes, I dunno--like how come there are so many grown-ups who act like this is still junior high? Also: We've talked for centuries about how many angels can fit on the head of a pin, but what I want to know is how many pinheads does one Fallen Angel have to put up with before it's OK to cuttabitch?

And: What if Johnny had been twins .... ?


Oh my. Imagine the possibilities ...

 ... thank you, fan Annarel Solosogni, for your genius in creating this, and for putting all this stuff in my head now ...

... pass me the pale-yellow liquid, would you please ... ?

... fanfic, anyone?



Twitter voting roundup!
Thank you again for voting for the blog!

Vote here for Johnny to win "Follow Me."
Current rank: #1
23 voting days remaining.

Vote here for Johnny to win "Sexiest Twitter"!
Current rank: #3
(gaaaah! @JoeFlanigan--seriously?--is still #2)
17 voting days remaining.

Vote here for Johnny to win "Mr. Twitter"!
Current rank: #3
13 voting days remaining.

Vote here for Johnny to win "Best of Twitter"!
Current rank: #7
(YES! He's holding steady ahead of Sarah Palin!)
13 voting days remaining.

Vote here for Johnny to win "Actor of the Month"!
Current rank: #31
3 voting days remaining.

Vote here for Vanya and BonBon
to win "Best Pets" (awwwww....).
Current rank: #8
13 voting days remaining.


Hey! You can enter to win a virtual styling session
with Johnny and a $500 shopping spree
from BlueFly.com!
Just submit a photo of the most
outrageous item in your closet!
Johnny will be choosing the winner in 2 days!
More info here!

Coming soon: More in the series
of translated interviews from the Mook Book
courtesy of the fabulous Akiko Nakata!

copyright 2010 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserved

12 comments:

noviarium said...

And you said you didn't have a speech?

This part brought tears to my eyes.

Your fierce brilliance burst into my world, shattered the old dusty glass that encased my own long-dormant fabulousness, and brought me to life--and to embrace life, in all its glorious highs and lows that can only be fully experienced if one is fully present in them.

You understand that we only get one shot at this thing, and every moment is meant to be lived, and most of them to be savored, remembered, and cherished (and some forgotten as quickly as possible). But there are none to be wasted on sacrificing yourself to please somebody else, or on worry or what-ifs or should-haves or if-onlys.


Because Johnny did that to me, too, and I'm sure to legions of his fans out there.

So congratulations, again. A well-deserved award and a tribute to Johnny's fabulousness!

I have reservations about contemplating twin Johnny. So much beauty and sparkle...I'd go blind and count myself lucky to have seen the light.

akiko said...

Congratulations, Binky!!!
You are the coolest full of glitter.
It may be just a silly Twitter contest, but you are not just a blogger. Never! Your blog is miraculous and you are a miracle worker. Johnny changed my life, too. And your blog makes it possible for me to be closer to Johnny.
Thanks very much Binky, and congratulations again!!!

Jessica Lane said...

So so so so happy for you, mama! Booty Dance of Victory! And thank YOU for making my mornings amazing when I wake up, blearily peer at my phone, and then laugh my ass off like this morning. I can’t think of a better way to wake up. Well, maybe a snuggly snuffle and squeeze, but… -ahem- Fic… anyone… these things just write themselves…

You deserve this award every day of every week until your fingers fall off and you start using voice recognition and when that fails you start using your toes to write. You’re amazing. Your muse is amazing. And I am, for reasons that just keep piling up (like, you know, learning Russian and being fluent in Chanel), endlessly grateful for Johnny and his innate ability to inspire and bring out the best in all of his fans. You both have side by side pedestals in my eyes.

Love love.

Maggie St. said...

That picture. OMG!IDIE
Thank you, thank you, thank you Annabel!!

Fanfic? Oh G-d, please, NO. He's young enough to be my extremely handsome, talented, wonderful son. And besides, Johnny couldn't handle me. ;)

CONGRATULATIONS - you truly deserve this honor. So, when will JGW be delivering your roses and prize money??

Mimi said...

BIG GIGANTIC GLITTERED CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You so deserve this award! You are an amazingly talented and fabulous women!!!

We are not worthy...but thank you for taking us on this ride bb!!!

aaaack said...

Thinking of how many hours you must have put into this effort, while maintaining that unflagging level of fabulousness throughout.... Driving from the midwest to Lake Placid...and back, while feeding ravenous kids and nursing along a car of untold vintage. You've enlisted your heart, soul, pocketbook, and first and second borne children into this effort. Blood, toil, tears and sweat! Yours is the world and all that's in it, and what's more, you are a Woman, my daughter. You deserved it! Congratulations and bask for a minute in the glory...then keep blogging.

Li Mann said...

Congratulations Binky! Your blogs always bring a smile, and that's definitely a positive in a world full of negativity. Keep it up gurrrrrrrrl!

Ali said...

Very touching. Truly. I'm a bit misty actually. I have the same feelings and thoughts about Johnny also. Unfortunately I am not so eloquent of tongue so I'll just go with a 'What she said!' Nicely done and thank you.

Congratulations on your win! Was there really any doubt?

Debora Walsh said...

**!!!!CONGRATULATIONS BINKY!!!!**
Thank you for all the time, thought and enthusiasm you put into this bastion of Johnny-love. Creating, executing and maintaining a blog as active and widely read as yours is not easy,,,even with such a "captivating muse" at it's heart.
So, pop a cork...pour yourself a Bellini...draw up a platter of fresh arugula...AND GET BUSY WITH THE BLOG FOR TOMORROW!!!
Just kidding,,,congrats again! Love you!

Anonymous said...

congrats and big hugs!! thank you so much for putting so much work into this blog that so many people love.

you are absolutely freaking awesome!!!

plus, you know how to fact check. *evil grin* sorry, just couldn't resist.

#mamamonsterrulesandbadreporterssuck

#ifbinkyhastimeforaninternwhatshernamefromnymshouldapply

bwa ha ha! k, cracking myself up here

thank you, dear Binky, for the blog we all love!

Robin

WheresMyKoppy said...

Thank you so much for writing this! (You're welcome, by the way!)

I love this passage:

Your fierce brilliance burst into my world, shattered the old dusty glass that encased my own long-dormant fabulousness, and brought me to life--and to embrace life, in all its glorious highs and lows that can only be fully experienced if one is fully present in them.

You understand that we only get one shot at this thing, and every moment is meant to be lived, and most of them to be savored, remembered, and cherished (and some forgotten as quickly as possible). But there are none to be wasted on sacrificing yourself to please somebody else, or on worry or what-ifs or should-haves or if-onlys.

And so you inspired me to step out and do a small thing I had never done before, to find the voice I had almost lost along the way, and to finally stop thinking that in order to please God, I had to be invisible. No. What is pleasing is for me to be fully and completely myself, the self I was uniquely made to be; to wholly embody who I am; and to not care what anybody else thinks about it.

====

I am so glad Johnny inspired you to start writing these beautiful Blogs! We would have missed SO MUCH if you had never written them! Keep going and keep writing!

And BTW, I do have an idea for a fanfic, and one chapter pretty much done. Haven't talked myself into actually writing it yet...

Annarel Solosogni said...

Binky, congratulations fot your winner and your blog!
Johnny has a gemini,i dreamed it!