Monday, June 11, 2012

Fighter

Johnny acknowledges the crowd in Taipei 
at the end of his performance 
to Christina Aguilera's "Fighter."
Photo courtesy of Zhao Xiaojuan.
Please click twice for huge full-size view,
and to fully enjoy all those smiling faces!



IDEK where to start. So many photos and stories rolling in, and more is headed our way.... So today I'm just posting what I've got so far, with much more to come. Many of our fellow fans who saw him in Taipei are still sort of awash in the experience, and need some time to collect their thoughts (and their pics and vids!). So here's a glimpse of the Taipei show, featuring exclusive new video thanks to the fabulous Zoe Cheng, the artist who created the silk painting showcased on last Thursday's blog.



The show began with this group number--
and with the guys in top hats and tails! Do want.
Exclusive video courtesy of Zoe Cheng.



During the first half of the show, 
Johnny performed his new Chopin program 
as Edvin Marton accompanied him on the ice. Exquisite.
Exclusive video courtesy of Zoe Cheng.





The skaters kicked off the second half 
with this "Batman" group number. 
Exclusive video courtesy of Zoe Cheng, 
who sent the link to me with the note that the video is 
"Johnny-focused" (yes, of course. As it should be. 
Thank you, Zoe...!) and who wrote this for the description 
on YouTube: "Lovely Johnny, Why Are You So Cute?"



Here's part 1 of the show finale.
Exclusive video courtesy of Zoe Cheng.


And here's part 2. 
My favorite sections are (1) the fans screaming,
"JOHNNYYYYYY!!!" every time he skates by, and 
(2) at about 00:49, when he receives his crown of roses 
from a very special fan.
Exclusive video courtesy of Zoe Cheng.


The moment at about 1:28 on the video, 
captured by @MiaoCC on Twitter.



According to fans, one of the most powerful points in the show was Johnny's solo performance during the second half to Christina Aguilera's "Fighter." And apparently it impacted many in the audience who weren't primarily Johnny fans. Afterward, one blogger wrote (roughly translated, with help, but please forgive if there are errors!):

Of all the performances, I have to say something about Weir--I have been only dimly aware of him, basically just that he is about the courage to be yourself... and that people usually see him as a feminine beauty or as a gorgeous and insolent flower, but in "Fighter," he was really a man's man. To see him dressed in simple clothing, knee pads, bandages, you can almost hear his most sincere cry, to match this most basic look. ... I seem to feel that his performance was his cry: "Fighter. This is me." Really very moved.

And here he is.

Screencaps below are from this wonderful video of his performance. Lyrics from "Fighter."



Johnny waiting to go on the ice for "Fighter."
Photo courtesy of 皇冬.


After all that you put me through,
You think I'd despise you,
But in the end I wanna thank you,
'Cause you've made me that much stronger




...You probably think that I hold resentment for you
But uh uh, oh no, you're wrong
'Cause if it wasn't for all that you tried to do, 
I wouldn't know
Just how capable I am to pull through
So I wanna say thank you
'Cause it


Photo courtesy of Zhao Xiaojuan.


Makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
It makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter




Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Makes me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter


Photo courtesy of Zhao Xiaojuan.


I am a fighter and I
I ain't gonna stop
There is no turning back
I've had enough

You thought I would forget
But I remembered
'Cause I remembered
I remembered




Makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
It makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Makes me that much smarter


Photo courtesy of Zhao Xiaojuan.

So thanks for making me a fighter.



Leaving the ice after his performance, 
while young skaters gather up his flowers.



Another view.
Exclusive video courtesy of Zoe Cheng.



Fabulous "Fighter" fan art 
all from @ayukovon!




(This is a gif created by @ayukovon, 
but sometimes Blogger forgets and makes it freeze, 
so if it's not moving for you, click on it, or 
check out the original here!)



After the show: An utterly exhausted Johnny 
on the bus headed back to the hotel. 
Photo tweeted by Meg Carlozzi.


And not only is he beyond tired, he's also in pain: 
"First show done. My knees were the ice's bitch tonight! 
Thank you Taipei. I love you!" he tweeted.


But once at the hotel, he's all smiles for fans...
Photo courtesy of Junko Mi.


...and takes time for yet more autographs and pics.
Photo courtesy of Zhao Xiaojuan, who writes: 
"Johnny is a very good and patient man with fans...
He arrived at the lobby of the hotel... 
surrounded by fans. Though very tired, he stood there 
to answer their questions, and to sign autographs. 
He was the last performer to leave... 
(fans all around him)..."



Very special thanks to
Zoe Cheng for the exclusive videos!! 



It's that time again!! Show Johnny Weir the Love 
is putting together an amazing birthday gift 
Details here. 
Just $5 gets your name on the card; 
deadline to participate is Friday, June 22!
Photo © David Ingogly.



Yes, we're also doing a wedding gift
 for Tara and Joshwho were married on May 10! 
As always, just $5 gets your name on the card. 
Please send via PayPal to misfitmimes@gmail.com
Deadline is TODAY!! Mazel tov!!



From "The Essence of Poetry," the latest series 
of black-and-white photos of Johnny at rehearsal. 
Not to be missed. 
Photo © David Ingogly.



HE REALLY, REALLY IS!! 
Landing quads and kicking ass 
at a Grand Prix event near you!
Read his comeback statement 
on his website!



New on Johnny's website!! Johnny returns 
to perform again in Sun Valley this summer! 
He'll be the headliner at the Saturday, August 4, ice show, 
and tickets are on sale now!! Don't miss it!



Please click to vote for Johnny 
once a day as "Best Sportsman"
Because he retweeted Luisa Lotka to tell us 
he wants us to! (Note: With his "58.132" rating, 
he is currently in 1st place in both 
Figure Skating AND across all sports!)



Weibo, here we come!!
He's heading to China today
for Artistry on Ice: Red Temptation!



It's not too late! Subscribe now 
and get the entire Johnny Weir perspective, 
including his never-before-heard free skate commentary 
available exclusively on icenetwork.com!



Q and A! Go read it now!



with MAC is pretty much sold out, 
but I'm leaving this video on here 
for a little while longer 
because I love it so much.



Yes! Johnny's dresses are now available
for purchase only on eDressMe.com!



At last: Pop Star On Ice is now available on DVD!
Order yours today from the Pop Star On Ice website!



Johnny tweeted:
"Buy my single,'Dirty Love' via iTunes.
Tell all your friends to as well. The more copies sold
takes me one step closer to making a video! №1!"

IN THE SAME WAY THAT IT NEEDS AIR.
You know what to do.
Please buy the song from Johnny's website,
or just click the "Buy" button on the player
at the top of the blog!



Hey, Welcome to My World also is available
as an eBook! More info on Johnny's website!


copyright 2012 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserved

1 comment:

aaaack said...

Johnny is very brave and strong and an inspiration to us all.

Thank you, Binky, for another string of gems.

Johnny's Fighter program reminds one of a famous quote: "That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Friedrich Nietzsche

By the way, Nietzsche has been very misused/misunderstood by history. When Nietzsche once saw a man whipping a horse, he put his arms protectively around the horse. He identified with the horse versus the man with the whip.