Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ice Dreams Update: Elkin Explains Tickets, Pricing, and the Middle East Peace Process!*


*Not really. That's too complicated even for the kind and patient people at Fireworks Sports Marketing.


Petition update:
We are at 9,600+ signatures!
Our goal is to reach 10,000 ASAP!
Please sign right now if you haven't already!


Alert readers messaged me yesterday to politely ask, "WTF is up with the tickets for Ice Dreams? I thought you said that it was $100 to upgrade to VIP tickets to get into the VIP meet-and-greet party after the show! But when you click on 'buy tickets,' it says it's either $25 for general admission, or $200 for VIP tickets! Can you clear this up? Or pay the difference? Or loan me the money and babysit my kids so I can go?"

So clearly another call to Fireworks was in order.

Today I spoke to Elkin, an intern in Tara's office who is every bit as kind and courteous as Richie (where does she find these people? In New York? Not that there aren't lots of lovely people in New York, but I've always understood it to have a bit harsher vibe than, say Chicago, in which I've spent a great deal of time and where total strangers will adjust your scarf for you if they think you don't have it quite right to prevent your nose from falling off while you walk to work in the brisk minus-70-degree breeze--and by "breeze" I mean "sustained gale-force wind"-- coming off Lake Michigan).

Elkin kindly clarified the Ice Dreams ticket pricing structure for me and everyone else who has considered dumping what little they have left in their 401(k) (and by "401(k)" I mean "couch cushions") in order to spend just one brief, glittery moment in the presence of Johnny Weir, surreptitiously inhaling his cologne while trying to say, "It's lovely to meet you. I would give you my first-born child," but succeeding only in making little strangled noises in the backs of their throats.

So here are the details:

$25 = general admission ticket to sit with the rabble (that would be me and my two kids).

$100 = pass to the two-hour VIP party that will be held at the arena after the show.

$200 = On-ice VIP seating PLUS pass to the after-show VIP party.

Elkin explained that if you pay the additional $100 after buying a $25 ticket, you'll receive a wrist band that admits you to the VIP party. There will be a table set up at the arena so that when you arrive for the show, you can check in there, they'll find your name on the list, and give you your wrist band to get in to the party later.

He also cheerfully noted that though there will be a cash bar at the VIP party, all ages are welcome to attend, and they will try really hard not to serve alcohol to my 12-year-old.

So: By clicking through the Ice Dreams site, you can buy EITHER the $25 tickets or the $200 tickets. If you just want the $100 VIP wrist band to go with your $25 ticket, you have to call Fireworks directly at 646-274-0955, and they'll be happy to sell you one.

If you've already bought $25 tickets and want to throw caution and your marriage to the wind and upgrade to the full $200 package, you also need to call.

Elkin did say that the VIP wrist bands are going fast and smilingly agreed with me that Bensen-The-Quiet-Neighbor-Who-Always-Kept-to-Himself-ville, with a population that is less than half the number of Johnny's Twitter followers alone, probably has no idea what's going to hit it on April 1. 

Sooooooo: If, like me, you've already bought $25 tickets, you can now spend a great deal of time agonizing over these choices and having conversations with your children that go like this:

Son (cautious, painfully shy, and only recently able to speak up enough to be heard when placing an order at a restaurant): "C'mon, Mom! It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Let's ditch the general admission tickets and upgrade to the full $600!"

Daughter (outgoing, able to converse with anyone, headed to New York to live her real life as soon as I will drive her there and drop her off): "Wow. Six hundred dollars to go pester a perfect--and yeah, OK, he is totally perfect--stranger. I can do that for free. In New York."

I stared at them for awhile, wondering how they had pulled off this weird body switch, where He-Who-Does-Not-Speak would spend anything to meet someone he doesn't know, while She-Who-Spoke-from-Birth-and-Wants-to-Meet-Everyone-on-the-East-Coast would not. Then we compromised.

We are sticking with our $25 seats.

But I called Elkin back and bought three $100 passes to the VIP party with sparkly little stars in my eyes.



copyright 2010 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserved

9 comments:

Moe said...

Good decision on your part Misfit! I wouldn't miss a chance to possibly even be in the same room with Johnny unless I was dead broke (which I do happen to be at the moment) but I guess I'll live vicariously through you and all the rest of the fans who are attending! I'm sure you'll have a great blog to post when you get back!

Anonymous said...

"in order to spend just one brief, glittery moment in the presence of Johnny Weir, surreptitiously inhaling his cologne while trying to say, "It's lovely to meet you. I would give you my first-born child," but succeeding only in making little strangled noises in the backs of their throats."

hahahaha! oh, YEAH! i would love to meet him someday, but i'm so shy that i probably would make a total fool of myself and just stand there staring at him like a kid in the candy store. :-D

Robin

Anonymous said...

"...in order to spend just one brief, glittery moment in the presence of Johnny Weir, surreptitiously inhaling his cologne while trying to say, "It's lovely to meet you. I would give you my first-born child," but succeeding only in making little strangled noises in the backs of their throats."

Reminder to myself: You must not drink red wine while reading Misfit´s blog posts.
Red wine doesn´t look as good on a keyboard than it looks in a fine wine glass. Period.

Awesome post again, and you gave me my daily laugh next to the totally perfect stranger who made me laugh watching episode 107...you surely know the one, don´t you. And no, I did not laugh about diverse massage devices as much as I laughed about the totally perfect stranger explaining why the totally perfect stranger´s brother and he turned out to be so different, coming from the same woman. What a message...he should feed it to the right wing of focus on the family. The expecting women won´t ever sleep on their left side again.

germansoulmate

paulette2112 said...

I just want to tell you I love reading your blog. You sound so much like me I don't feel so strange. Your description of meeting Johnny is spot on exactly what I can picture myself doing. I'm so glad I'm not the only one obsessed. I wish you could give us your thoughts on what it is about Johnny that has this effect on us, besides the fact that he's adorable.

Binky and the Misfit Mimes said...

Germansoulmate: I apologize and accept full responsibility for the unfortunate encounter of your red wine with your keyboard. :)

Paulette: Thank you so much! Yes, it helps me to feel not completely crazy every time I visit Johnny's Facebook page and mingle with the other 34,000+ (!) fans. AND there are nearly 49,000 of us following him on Twitter. I love your suggestion, and am in fact mulling over a more thoughtful post about what it is that Johnny seems to do to people and why we fall so hard for him. Please stay tuned!

Binky and the Misfit Mimes said...

Also: germansoulmate: I love your idea of sending (in all seriousness) Johnny's take on why he and his brother are so different to Focus on the Family (or "Focus on the Fetus," as my daughter calls them)--brilliant!

Anonymous said...

"and am in fact mulling over a more thoughtful post about what it is that Johnny seems to do to people and why we fall so hard for him. Please stay tuned!"

Please do that. I try to determine that for myself as well. What is it that draws us to people like Johnny? I have an idea...at least one that works for me.

germansoulmate

Maria D said...

awww Elkin how exciting!!!! So proud. so. proud!

Anonymous said...

When I was pregnant and having troubles with my placenta (baby was tiny, my doctor committed me to bed rest and a high fat diet. He also ordered me to lay on my left side in order for to maximize the amount of oxygen and nutrients going to my babe. My kid came out 5.3 lbs but big of heart and brain, and hetero. I gained 48 lbs, about 50% of my normal weight - felt like a beached whale and my feet hurt because the bones were not used to such weight. Lutunn Noz