Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Skate for the Heart, Here We Come!

Ahhhh ... one last lingering look at All That Skate,
and then it's time to briskly move on
to Skate for the Heart!
(More ATS photos from allkpop here.)


So let's talk about Skate for the Heart!

So here's an interesting thing: I spent a great deal of time calling the Covelli Centre over and over yesterday, growing increasingly desperate with each call to reach an ACTUAL HUMAN BEING (because the Staples Center lady and I are kinda growing apart. It happens ...). Which took quite a few tries, because even though it was mid-afternoon there in Youngstown--not lunch time; not closing time--absolutely everyone was away from their desks, and every call went to voicemail no matter which extension I tried. Maybe they were all hanging out at various Starbucks on the turnpike. I dunno. So I left several cheery messages for various people seeking clarification on the signs-and-banners policy about stuff needing to be preapproved by Security or the Marketing Director or Grilled Cheesus or whoever.

Then, on a whim, I tried the Events Director (I think--it's all a blur of voice prompts and commands to "press the # key" at this point), and I reached his LIVE HUMAN assistant, who was very friendly but said she had no idea about the policy and immediately, before I could draw another breath, sent me to--her boss' voicemail.

So whether or not we need Banner Ninjas is not yet clear. But I'll keep trying, and in the meantime, please plan on bringing as many 11" x 17" signs as possible so hopefully we can offer another fabulous show of support for Johnny!

In addition, I came across this info, which helps answer the question about rehearsals and also wiped away the disturbingly entertaining images of Johnny and Alice Cooper and Rob Zombie all skating around together at the Covelli Centre on Saturday that were threatening to take over my mind:

U.S. Olympians Sasha Cohen, Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto will appear at the Mentor Ice Arena, 8600 Munson Road on Saturday in an hour-long rehearsal that will be open to the public. The practice session will be in the West Rink beginning at 7:30 p.m.

The 2006 silver medalists will be joined by 2010 bronze medalist Joannie Rochette and U.S. National Champions Johnny Weir, Jeremy Abbott, and Rachael Flatt.

Wow! So they're rehearsing in Mentor, conveniently located just a scant SEVENTY-FIVE TO ONE HUNDRED MILES AWAY from Youngstown, depending on which road you take.

Since I had such good luck with my phone calls to the Covelli Centre, I decided to call the Mentor Ice Arena to confirm this by leaving rambling and aimless voicemails at random extensions there.

To my surprise, I got a real person on the first try and was briefly rendered speechless.

She confirmed that the skaters will be rehearsing from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Mentor arena on Saturday, and that the last hour will indeed be open to the public, with doors opening at 7 p.m.

She also said that the skaters will be available to provide autographs during that time (yay!). And she noted optimistically that really, it's only about 60 minutes from Youngstown. Which makes sense when you consider how hopped up on Starbucks everyone in Ohio is.

So that's all I know so far, but as soon as all my new friends at the Covelli Centre call me back, I will pass along more info about signs and banners and any covert ops that might be necessary. In the meantime, tickets are still available, so please come join me and everybody else this weekend in Ohio! (Motto: "Really? You don't have anything larger than a venti?" Alternate motto: "WTFcantyoupeopledriveanyfasterit'snevertakenmelonger
than30minutestotravelfromYoungstowntoMentorbefore
hellIcangettoNewYorkfromhereinabouttwohours")

See you there!

Johnny performs to Jordin Sparks' rendition
of "Battlefield" at last year's Skate for the Heart
in September 2009. To see more photos,
visit Masako's album here.




Yes! You can own a fine art print of Johnny
perfect for any/every room in the house!
Prints of artist Peter Jurik's "Showtime!"
are available for purchase from his website.
More info here!


THIS SUNDAY, October 10, Johnny will be performing
in Skate for the Heart in Youngstown, Ohio!
Tickets are available here,
and there's a discussion page for fans here!
YES! WE'RE DOING POSTERS FOR THIS ONE TOO!
This show also will be televised on NBC
on Sunday, January 16, 2011, at 4 p.m. EST!

Please remember to register to receive
the JW Art Project's email newsletter!
They have great tidbits to offer,
and you get a special sneak peek at an exclusive photo
from the book when you sign up!
The Artbook is expected to be published
by the end of October--can't wait!

Special holiday offer!
In exchange for a donation to Toys for Tots,
Trish Aaron-Misiura will send you one handmade,
Johnny-inspired Christmas ornament! More info here!

Coming up: More in the series
of translated interviews from the Mook Book
courtesy of the fabulous Akiko Nakata!

copyright 2010 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserve

1 comment:

Sasha Baltikoff said...

I have finally sorted out how to post comments from my phone to these posts, maybe we'll bump elbows. I doubt id even be considering coming if not for these posts, but I live in OH and its only a 2.5 hour drive or something. So why not, hugs