Wednesday, August 17, 2011

In the Interest of Fairness...

...today's blog will be an extended advertisement for IFS Magazine, who responded to my coldly crabby complaint yesterday by correcting the name error pretty damn promptly. (In retrospect perhaps I could have considered slightly lighter phrasing, purring something along the lines of, "I'm sure this simply must be an unfortunate oversight since I can't imagine anyone at IFS Mag would deliberately mistype his name this way..."  in a warm and soothing tone of which Miss Manners might smilingly approve.)

I also THINK I received an email response last night from IFS Mag's executive editor Susan Russell, which landed in my inbox JUST as my ISP flatlined inexplicably, which it often does, as if it's auditioning for the role of Crewman #6 in Galaxy Quest, leaving me with rapidly blinking lights and then ... nothing. So I saw the flash of an email address that LOOKED maybe like "srussell@yadayadayada.org" and then everything froze and died and I restarted and ... no. So whatever might have been arriving at that moment apparently got zapped in mid-download and blew up into lovely bits of sparkle dust sort of like the Star Trek transporter gone beautifully wrong and so now it's just ... nowhere.

(Off-topic: IDK why I'm in such a nostalgic sci-fi mood RN ...  maybe because my kids and I would like an end-of-summer escape from everything and Planet Weir always sounds like the perfect destination, and then that always makes me think of this photo.):

Johnny the-"G"-Stands-for-"Galactic" Weir
His lifetime mission: To explode old, outdated gender boundaries;
to strut out in celebration of new life and new challenges;
to boldly go where no man has gone before...



Anyway my ISP is adamant that it has no undownloaded emails on its server, and my PC just looks at me with a patiently quizzical air as it reassures me repeatedly in a slight Scottish accent that "I'm giving you all she's got!" and that there's nothing hidden or left unread in any of these stupid email folders. So IDK. Maybe I hallucinated, albeit sans pink pandas. (Also, if anyone else sent me emails around 7 pm CDT last night, um, could you please maybe resend?) But Ms. Russell, if you replied to me, I appreciate it very much, and I also appreciate IFS Mag's quick action in correcting the ... awkward misspelling.

So! Hey everybody! Check out IFS Magazine! They produce six issues a year and you can subscribe to receive them either digitally or in print for the low-low price of $29.99/year! Or save $7 by subscribing for two years! Or, if you're destitute like me and nearly everyone I know, you can wait a few months until they post the articles on their website for free for non-subscribers!

And thanks to alert reader aaaack, who included a link to an IFS Mag Johnny article that she had not seen before in her comment on yesterday's blog, I discovered a treasure trove of Johnny-ness that is a little retro but new to me, so still fun to devour. (Almost as fun as chocolate-covered pretzels from a dear friend for my birthday. Almost. And the combination of the articles PLUS the pretzels is heavenly.)

Here's the article aaaack found ("Weir Does It His Way"), which is a great interview originally published in the December 2010 issue of IFS Mag--an issue that includes like SEVEN articles about or referencing Johnny! (And OMG. I did not know he was so exhausted last spring that he actually got shingles. Johnny, I'm so sorry.)

And here are some other excellent IFS Mag Johnny articles that are worth a look:

"All That Skate LA" - Backstage Images
(click on the first photo to activate the slideshow)

"Skate for Hope" - Fundraiser for Worthwhile Cause
(recap of Skate for Hope 2010 with adorkable Johnny on tiptoe in the cast photo)

HRC Honors Weir

Johnny Weir Making the Most of His Post-Olympic Fame
(a web-exclusive article from April 2010--interesting to read what was coming up for him then that has since already happened. Sort of like what we'll be doing when he goes to Japan again at the end of this month...)

And they have some amazing pics of him, including these:










For a complete list of Johnny-related IFS Mag stuff, see his IFS Mag page.

They also have a lotta articles about other skaters and other skating stuff if, you know, you're into that sort of thing.

Thank you again to Ms. Russell and IFS Magazine for listening and responding in less than 24 hours. That's pretty galactically awesome in itself.



Special Super-Random Edition of I'm Not A Doctor Nor Do I Play One On TV...



...But I Think Johnny Should Get All The Stickers He Wants From His Doctors...



...Because Dr. Johnny Is Good Medicine For Everyone...



...Especially When He's Discussing Medical Information Of This Nature:

(Be Good Johnny Weir, Season 1, episode 5, "Back in the U.S.S.R.," around marker 8:03. He's talking about ... his flu shot, of course. Obviously. See the stand-alone clip here. BTW is anyone else absolutely desperate for BGJW Season 2? Yes? It's not just me?)



Special thanks to @ayukovon on Twitter
and to InfiniteRain for the fabulous gif 
which is just as amusing today as it was 
the first time I saw it more than a year ago...



New on Johnny's website!
How I would love to go to this...



More new stuff on Johnny's website!
He'll be attending Macy's Glamorama Los Angeles
on Friday, Sept. 23, and also performing in 
"Fashion on Ice" on Saturday, Sept. 24, in Chicagoland!
Info here!



Yes! Johnny's dresses are now available
for purchase only on eDressMe.com!



At last: Pop Star On Ice is now available on DVD!
Order yours today from the Pop Star On Ice website!



Johnny tweeted recently:
"Buy my single,'Dirty Love' via iTunes.
Tell all your friends to as well. The more copies sold
takes me one step closer to making a video! №1!"
THE WORLD NEEDS THIS VIDEO
IN THE SAME WAY THAT IT NEEDS AIR.
You know what to do.
Please buy the song from Johnny's website,
or just click the "Buy" button on the player
at the top of the blog!



Hey, Welcome to My World also is available
as an eBook! More info on Johnny's website!


copyright 2011 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserved

4 comments:

aaaack said...

Thanks again, Binky, for all you do.

The timing of events in Johnny's life has occasionally been so crazy that it leaves one dumbfounded. It's been horrible timing for medals but so dramatic and literary that it makes for good books and TV.

If you have had chicken pox, chances are that a tiny bit of the virus has embedded itself into one of your nerve sheaths to hide from your immune system. When you get totally run down or depressed, and your immune system is at low ebb, the chicken pox virus emerges, runs around and gives you shingles.

Here's what to do for exhaustion. Eat homemade chicken soup and licorice. Homemade chicken soup is good for the immune system because it has an amino acid profile that is very similar to that of human immuno-proteins. Insist on homemade because you don't need all that sodium that comes from artificial/processed flavorings and salt (which is BAD for the bones). Licorice is a precursor to some hormones. But do NOT eat the licorice early when you are stressed because that will keep you from sleeping and push you over the edge of stress.

By the way, colas and root beer also are very bad for the bones. Sorry.

Maggie St. said...

Great. Now HOW am I going to be able to look for a new job when there are articles to read, photos to look at, and mammoth things to shove?

Princess Johnny-Love ♥ said...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! i am so absolutely, completely desperate for BGJW season 2! and now that you've mentioned it, i'm really feeling it! quick, someone shove me in a B-bag with a bunch of Johnny pics and some Swavorski-studded onesies! that MIGHT make me feel better. maybe.

and, AHEM, i'm also really desperate for BGJW season 1 to come out in a deluxe box set. please? we've all been very, very good and would love to buy it and make Johnny and the producers lots of $$!

so, i have to admit i was kinda sad at Johnny not getting a sticker at the doctor's. eeks! if the Beautiful One wants a sticker, give him a sticker already!!

it's a good thing Johnny didn't tweet the address, or tons of hopeful men and women would have rushed over there with stickers! stickers are just as important as roses and fancy dinners.

and a big YAY! to Binky for taking care of the IFS thing. go, BB!

xo

Robin

WheresMyKoppy said...

Thanks for the information on the aritcles in IFS. Shingles...eek! Too much stress and such a hectic schedule for our boy!

I'm glad IFS fixed the error so quickly, and I still wonder if someone did it on purpose to see if anyone would catch it. Well obviously someone did-you!